NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I re-routed my spoiler switch to the panel behind the turn signal stalk and I have a question.. I know there's a how-to on here for cutting a wire so it doesn't raise and lower automatically, only by manually hitting the switch. It says to cut the wire under the trunk lid. Since my switch is relocated and it's very easy to access the wires by the switch, could I cut the wire there instead of cutting it in the trunk lid? Or does it HAVE to be cut in the trunk? I assume the only reason it says in the trunk is because it's typically easier to access the wires under the trunk.

Sorry if that's confusing lol

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I would assume you could just cut it in the back of the switch. I don't see why you couldn't. And where did you mount the switch? I put a remote on for my amp in the plastic piece behind the turn signal arm. Had to take a dremel tool and cut a decent sized hole in the dash behind the switch BUT it worked and it looks nice lol.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No! But WHY?

No! The wiring at the switch does not contain the wiring for the rear spoiler control module which controls the automatic feature. I haven't seen the How-to you are talking about, but, do tell, why would you, or anyone want to do this?

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would assume you mean by "whenever", that you now have full manual control regardless of the speed, indicating you have bypassed or defeated the the control module completely, not simply defeated the automatic feature. I would also ask you, why?

M.
It doesn't defeat the automatic feature, as the spoiler still comes up at 88mph (or whatever the speed may be). The mod makes it so the spoiler doesn't come down on its own, only when you press "down" on the switch. It also lets you raise the spoiler at any speed and keep it up until you put it back in the down position.

As to your question of "why?"

Cuz its kewl :biglaugh:
Believe it or not, the spoiler does provide quite a bit of down force even at relatively low speeds (50+) so it's nice to be able to put it up whenever I need a little better handling while speeding down the back roads

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It doesn't defeat the automatic feature, as the spoiler still comes up at 88mph (or whatever the speed may be). The mod makes it so the spoiler doesn't come down on its own, only when you press "down" on the switch. It also lets you raise the spoiler at any speed and keep it up until you put it back in the down position.

As to your question of "why?"

Cuz its kewl :biglaugh:
Believe it or not, the spoiler does provide quite a bit of down force even at relatively low speeds (50+) so it's nice to be able to put it up whenever I need a little better handling while speeding down the back roads
Do you feel you need that "down force" to offset the poor aerodynamics caused by your "lift"? :D

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would assume you could just cut it in the back of the switch. I don't see why you couldn't. And where did you mount the switch? I put a remote on for my amp in the plastic piece behind the turn signal arm. Had to take a dremel tool and cut a decent sized hole in the dash behind the switch BUT it worked and it looks nice lol.
That's where I put the spoiler switch. There was plenty of wire to run it there, and now I don't have to reach under the dash while merging on the highway. :)

I would assume you mean by "whenever", that you now have full manual control regardless of the speed, indicating you have bypassed or defeated the the control module completely, not simply defeated the automatic feature. I would also ask you, why?

M.
I like to put the spoiler up when I get on the highway because it makes my open sunroof quite a bit quieter. Plus I like the way it looks. :p

The issue is only when I'm having a spirited drive and it goes up and down and up and down when I'm around 80-90 mph. It's just annoying, I want it to stay up all the time.

I think this is the thread you're looking for http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/14620-how-manual-spoiler-mod.html
I did this to my NB and can put the spoiler up or down whenever I want
Yes, that's the how to I was referring to. I was wanting to cut the wires right at the switch but it doesn't look like that will work. It looks like I will have to cut them in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As ststed in my first post (#3)! ;)
I wasn't sure if it went through a motor or something between the switch and the trunk. Now that I think about it, there is only 2 wires coming off the switch. There's a whole bundle in the trunk lol

derp..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I wasn't sure if it went through a motor or something between the switch and the trunk. Now that I think about it, there is only 2 wires coming off the switch. There's a whole bundle in the trunk lol

derp..
FYI - correctly referred to as a 2-pole switch. Simply interupts one side of the circuit, typically, but not always, the positive (+) power feed.

M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts