NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my third brake light is cracked and leaking and it looks terrible with the silicone all over it so since I got my tax money I'm going to buy a spoiler for the buggy. I really like the freedom design spoiler that is the no drill option on their site but carid also has one similar jksJKS® - Volkswagen Beetle 1998-2010 Factory Style Rear Spoiler with Light. I can also get the jks one cheaper but carid won't tell me how it mounts. They just say it comes with mounting brackets, adhesion tape and bolts. Has anyone ever used the jks spoiler with led light. What should I do:confused:

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Reading some of the reviews, the installation does require drilling and mounting using some sort of "brackets". Check out the reviews regarding the installation instructions if you are goin to do it yourself. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult.
I have been considering buying one. I think if I did I would buy the more expensive no-drill freedom design spoiler and have it painted. But that's just me.
Freedom Design Rear Spoiler 44400 Beetle

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through and placed the order for the freedom design spoiler. I purchased it from amazon but called first and got a better price. I ordered touch up spray paint that matches my car because the body shops around my area want $200 to $400 just to paint it ill keep you guys updated.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I went through and placed the order for the freedom design spoiler. I purchased it from amazon but called first and got a better price...
What vendor did you order it from and, if you don't mind, what was the price you were able to get it for?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the spoiler on amazon for $129. It's less then what it was listed for on freedom designs website. I just looked up 44400 on amazon and I got 2 free day shipping with my amazon prime trial. O I almost forgot it is sold and shipped out from amazons warehouse not an individual selling on amazon.

On a side note it looks like I bought the last 1, maybe that's why I got a deal:D. I was going to post a link but it says item unavailable and no restocking date.Freedom Design 44400 Wing Beetle Cw/Led 98-00 : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Let us know how the installation went. I'm curious and haven't been able to find actual installation instructions from Freedom Design

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finally got around to messing with the spoiler. Used one can of spray paint which actually looks like the color of the car. Put 3 costs on of paint and 3 coats of clear. Then lightly sanded and applied another coat of clear and left dry overnight. Then I waxed it all up. I am happy with the finish although it looks like more of a Matt red compared to a gloss. But for the price hey who's complaining. I then in the mean time unscrewed the old brake light and scrubed off the old gasket mess. Cut off the old brake light connector and installed bullet connectors bc I believe they easier then the quick connect ones in case you ever want to remove them. I then blacked out the new led light with vht nights hades and let it dry. Installed in to the wing with two provided screws.Then installed two foam piece that go between the wing an the car. Then I routed the new wire with the hatch kind of half open. Closed the hatch ballencing with my knee and applied a good amount of clear rtv silicone, next I half opened the hatch and installed two bolts until finger tight. Evenly tightened them and boom I had a spoiler. Only real hard part of the install was trying to remove the old brake light, lets just say no matter how gentle I tried to be that thing is in pieces;).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/imagexlfu.jpg/

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
...Then I waxed it all up.
I like the spoiler and it looks like it fits well.

I think you should have waited a few days before waxing to allow the paint to "dry out" all the way. When I had a gas tank painted on my motorcycle my painter told me not to wax it until a week or so later for the reason above. That is perhaps why it has a matt type finish to it now. Was it like that prior to waxing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The finish on the wing was a little bit glossy before I waxed it. I talked to my friend and his dad said that he could hit it with some real clearcoat with hardener in it. So that it will look more finished. As far as the install I was a little frightened at first bc Amazon sent me extra parts that weren't even in the directions and the directions were crap. But Once you remove the 3rd brake light off ur car it's pretty straightforward. You may not need to silicone the spoiler to the car(directions state a gasket is included,LIES)but I did and even if I had the gasket I would of still used silicone for added protection.

·
11 Posts
Sweet spoiler!! Looks cool! Off topic but what did you use to black out your taillights? I've been thinking about doing this to my beetle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just vht nightshades. You can pick up a can of it at any major parts store. I light wet sanded and cleaned them up and applied two or three coats. Vht says for off road use only but to this day I've never gotten a ticket and passed state inspection. It really depends on your state and local law enforcement. If cops around you are picky on little things then I couldn't go as dark. Maybe only one coat for light smoke look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spoilers

Definitely will require drilling and proper mounting and sealing to prevent leaking. I suggest to get the spoiler and have it professionally done at a local body shop. That's what I did and it came out awesome and done right the first time. Check out ilovebodykits.com. They have several spoilers to choose from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts