VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone have such a problem like me?

When the engine turns off, the brake pedal feels half spongy half firm.
When the engine is on, the brake goes completely wrong---spongy all the way down, even a little brake force can be generated.

I am wondering what causes the difference in brake feel as the engine is on or off.:eek:

By the way, no warning light is on at all; brake and ABS warning light are both off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You might check the vacuum hose; off of the brake booster, it is common for these to crack and leak, as they get brittle from heat.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks, Billymade. I took my car to a local mechanic and he fixed the leaking at caliper but soft brake pedal still. He said no caliper leaking but still get spongy brake pedal, most likely it is the faulty brake master cylinder... I took my Beetle to another local mechanic who will do the master cylinder job tomorrow.

One thing I feel confused about: if I have faulty brake system ( such as master cylinder failure, any leaking at vacuum hoses, brake booster), am I supposed to get warning light on the dashboard?

However, everything shows fine on the dashboard, no warning light at all. Really confusing and annoying.

I checked my owner manual and it explicitly states: If there is a fault in the brake system, warning lamp lights up in the combi-instrument, and audible warnings are given.

But in fact, when I drove the car, no warning light NOR audible warning is showed.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, the light coming on; has a set of parameters for it to come on and your brake system, probably was is not that bad (yet). If you continue to have problems after replacing more parts; there maybe air in the abs system and this requires a vw compatible scan tool to run a bleeding process. For tough to bleed hydraulic systems; I have found the Phoenix reverse bleeder tool, to really help. If the shop, that is doing the work; cannot bleed the abs system and you still have spongy pedal, you may need to find a shop that has vw scan tool to bleed the abs system as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spongy brake is fixed.

Luckily, the spongy brake problem was fixed easily by a local mechanic who has more expertie in braking system. The first mechanic said the master cylinder faulty and needs to replace the master cylinder, which will cost
more than $550. I took the car to another local mechanic shop (bigger than the first one) and he checked the entire braking system. Luckily, the air inside the brake master cylinder caused the spongy brake pedal. No matter how many times the brake system has been flushed, it would not solve the problem at all. The second mechanic was bleeding the whole brake system including master cylinder and ABS, and then a firm brake pedal come back.

It only costs me $145.

Cheers,:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent! Glad you got it fixed! Bleeding the ABS system; is also required; maybe, there was air in the ABS system/pump? Cheers, to a hard brake pedal! :D

The mechanic confirmed he was bleeding the whole braking system including ABS for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts