NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is kind of a dumb question but every time I think I know what's happened to my Beetle (even after all these years), it turns out to be something else...

Turned a corner the other day at low speed and the engine suddenly started to sputter and lug. CEL on and flashing. At first I thought it was condensation in the fuel line but of course that only happens momentarily. This didn't quit so I turned right around and sputtered my way home (2 minute drive). About a half hour later I started the car up in the driveway, no problems, which surprised me and made me think it was watery gas or something.

Didn't have time to deal with it so I went to work (not driving this car), came back, and the car sputtered/CEL flashed when I started it up. Strong exhaust smell outside the car.

Obviously something's broken, but what? Is the engine misfiring or is it something in the fuel or the exhaust system?

I cannot read the code on the light and really don't have anyone to help me, it's going to have to be towed in somewhere, but I'd like to avoid towing it to the dealer if it is something that any shop nearby could fix. I never know with this car what a normal shop will deal with or how long it would take them to order parts.

What does this sound like to you?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
A flashing CEL points to a misfire. Is this a 2.0L or 1.8T? Could be from your coil/coil packs depending on the engine. Mileage on the car? Any maintenance done lately? And any auto parts store can read the code(s) for free for you, BTW.

·
Registered
708 Posts
She has a 01 GL, which I think all GL's are all 2.0's. It sounds like the coil pack is bad. Use a flashlight and she if the coil has any cracks in it. It's hard to see, but it can be seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts