VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been squeaking in the area of the camshaft and I cannot figure out where it is coming from. I have looked at my timing belt and it has a line down the middle of it as if something rubbed on it. I examined the top cover for the timing belt and there are no signs of rubbing. If water is sprayed down the belt, the noise stops temporarily. Do you know what this could be?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Any one of the rolling elements could be bad. When was the tb service last complete? And were all the rollers and tensioner and water pump done at the same time? Tread carefully or you might be engineless.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If something is marking the backside of your timing belt, then you are on borrowed time; at some point that line down the middle is going to cause the belt to separate :eek:hnoes: and you do not want that to happen. :banghead:

Replacing the timing belt will identify and fix the problem.

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the timing belt and all parts associated with it were replaced. Could one of the pulleys shifted? Could it be a faulty bearing?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
One thing to check would be the upper timing belt cover. At the front edge it fits into the middle cover with a tab and slot. It can be difficult to get them to engage properly since it is behind the alternator bracket. The timing belt is pretty close there so if the cover isn't seated right it could rub the outside of the belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts