NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raise'em, lower'em; either way I get this loud squealing like a bad windshield wiper on dry glass.

I'm assuming I need to lubricate the rubber at the glass channel? Any ideas, products?

Happy 4th!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine does this. Drives me crazy! Sounds like a dying cat lol.
Tried a few things so far but it's only ever a temporary solution.

·
volks r cool
273 Posts
winders!

Mine does it on the left side....is it a problem??/hopefully not...time will tell...something rubbin/out of whack thts 4 sure....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup, me too

Short term fix is applying a little furniture polish to the edge of the windows. Helps just a little bit for just a little bit of time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The issue here is the window regulator has to be replaced. I went to the dealer last week with this same issue and that's what they informed me, BUT should you decide to have it replaced, check on eBay for the the part....and verify the part number as well. You will find many regulators for the hatch backs....do NOT purchase any of them that do not have the rails..from what I have heard, following installation they are a bear to set correctly.

Here is the part number directly from the dealership for the left (driver side) window: 1Y0-837-461-F Dealer price is $241.20 plus tax; installation $168.00 plus tax. I "think" the P/N for the right right is the same except it reads "462."

There is a video on this site somewhere about replacing the regulator...I consider myself pretty handy, but after watching the video, I have decided it best to leave it to the dealership techs.

By the way, the complete regulator assembly can be had on eBay for $208.00

Hope this helps...oh and one further item, prior to going to the dealership, I too lubed the rubber window guides with dry silicone...and it didn't make any difference.:mad:

Jerry

·
Registered
757 Posts
The issue here is the window regulator has to be replaced. I went to the dealer last week with this same issue and that's what they informed me, BUT should you decide to have it replaced, check on eBay for the the part....and verify the part number as well. You will find many regulators for the hatch backs....do NOT purchase any of them that do not have the rails..from what I have heard, following installation they are a bear to set correctly.

Here is the part number directly from the dealership for the left (driver side) window: 1Y0-837-461-F Dealer price is $241.20 plus tax; installation $168.00 plus tax. I "think" the P/N for the right right is the same except it reads "462."

There is a video on this site somewhere about replacing the regulator...I consider myself pretty handy, but after watching the video, I have decided it best to leave it to the dealership techs.

By the way, the complete regulator assembly can be had on eBay for $208.00

Hope this helps...oh and one further item, prior to going to the dealership, I too lubed the rubber window guides with dry silicone...and it didn't make any difference.:mad:
I've got to disagree a bit. If it really is the regulators, replacing them yourself isn't that bad.

I've bought just the repair kit (cables plus center plastic gearbox, but not the rails) for both front doors on our New Beetle Convertible and replaced them both myself. If you're reasonably handy with tools and cars, it can be done. Getting the cable onto the pulleys is the hard part. Also, the dealer I bought the repair kits from said that they were "non-returnable". I'm guessing too many people bought them, screwed up the install, then tried to return the (now used) repair kit.

If you're trying to decide if you want to try this, search for the repair videos yourself and take a look at what you're getting into. There was also a "thread" on this forum that I found and printed out showing the steps needed to do this repair. I believe the first one I did was before I bought my Bentley Manual, so the info on the Internet about this is enough to get you through the repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay Okay I bought the repair kit and i am part gorilla. I cant for the life of me get the final latch on the spool assembly. The thick white piece of plastic. I took care not to disturb the spool as it was already wrapped and ziptied. I left the zip tie on it. its been a solid hour of me pulling on this thing hoping the cable would give a little but my hands are shredded and the thing is no closer to being set. Is there a trick to it? Brute force doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2012 beetle. Both windows squeaky, mostly passenger side. Am I to understand that I will most likely have to spend about $800 to fix two windows? If this is a widespread problem, why did vw not issue a recall and fix the problem? Also, if I just ignore squeaks and keep using windows, does it damage them?

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
The above comments; are based upon the New Beetle, the first generation from 1998-2010. On the 2nd generation Beetle; from 2012-2019, there WERE issues, in the first year of production and there WAS some recalls, technical service bulletins about them. You might call your local VW dealer and see, if the recall was done or if it is still open, if they have a tsb on the issues and some updated parts, that might apply to your current situation. Keep in mind, where on the site sections you are and which model years it relates to. You might post in the appropriate sections; to get responses, that have the same vehicle as you and have dealt with the common problems related to it. This site started out dealing with the first generation beetles; up until recently the 2nd generation, were still under factory warranty and so, most problems were being addressed by their local VW service dept at the dealer. NOW, people like you; are buying used out of warranty cars and are having issues, that your/they are having to deal with. Because, of this new situatuion; we don't have as much repair info and experiences around here, it is going to take some time, for people to share their repair experiences and possibly create some "diy" pages, to show how things are done. Meanwhile, you can have a professional shop handle the repairs you run into (independent vw repair shop or vw dealer); if you decide to do repairs yourself, it is probably time invest in a vw factory level scan tool like VCDS by Ross Tech and the factory service manual, you can download from VW's eRWin website for $36, for 24 hours access. There are starting to pop up; some videos on typically needed repairs on the youtube as well. The Beetle discussion area on vwvortex; has been very active since 2012; you can search or post there as well. The 2012 model window recall and issues; are heavily documented there, as many people struggled with window issues, when it first came out and vw revised the window regulator?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts