VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I picked up a 2003 TDI 5spd from my boss' brother. Has almost 162k on it and runs good but has some issues here and there that most 12 year old beetles would have. I got back late last night so here's the only picture I've been able to take so far.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why Yort is a 2003 NB :crazy:

Yort is the previous owners name spelled backwards.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
You know the drill. Moar pics! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love it!
Sounds like one of those words the Muppet sweedish chef would say. "Yort yort yort"! But it's a cool thing mang.
OMG you are so right!! :rofl: Now I love it even more.

You know the drill. Moar pics! :D
I know I know, we didn't get back home until midnight and my neck/head were killing me. I'll try and get some basic shots this afternoon and maybe some glamour shots this weekend once it gets a bath.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a few more pictures of Yort after putting new license plate on. Not too many though, my neck is still hurting and it's pretty hot out.

Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really need to get a vag-com on order.

Motor vehicle Windshield Vehicle Vehicle door Car

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Show us interior pics, too! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Show us interior pics, too! :D
Patience gwashoppah :)

Thanks!

If you do your own work you definitely need a vcds. I used mine this week to adjust IQ on my tdi
There's some things I would probably still be too afraid to do such as a TB and maybe the IP, but there's always a first for everything. I really need to get this CEL figured out and the generic code doesn't help. VCDS would be $350 well spent over taking to somebody else, and since there aren't really any independent shops here, it's either me or the dealer 96 miles away.

I got the light to go out for about 5 min after filling it with diesel. I was putting some in a can so I figured might as well fill the tank too. Light went out but came back on on the way home. I filled the fuel filter up with diesel since it looked like it was just wet and not primed all the way. Maybe there is still some air in the lines causing the light. No limp mode though so that's good :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I went out to put part of the plastic splash shield back up and decided to clear the code with my laptop using OBDwiz. Drove around the neighborhood for almost 2 miles and it hasn't come back........yet. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reflections of a beetle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, I've always liked the Platinum Gray since it first came out. Not entirely sure about how I feel about it on the newer beetles though.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the CEL that Yort had when I got him is now gone. I finally got my VCDS today :banana: So I took him out and got him all warmed up, got back home and checked out the TDI Timing. This is what I saw...

Oscilloscope Text Screen Technology Electronic device

Woah timing is out of wack! :eek: No wonder Yort is upset. Time to get under the hood...

Hello Mr. Timing belt!

Auto part Pipe Engine Suspension Wheel

Hello Mr. Injection Pump!
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Pipe

Lets tweak this thing!

Oscilloscope Line Technology

Woah too much too much! More tweaking!

Text Line Oscilloscope Technology

Wohoo! :banana: Timing within spec dead on!

Yort is now happy again, seems a little peppier and I would expect my fuel mileage to go up a little, was hovering in the low to mid 30s :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts