NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting with my bug for a few weeks now. I am getting a stall with no CEL's, just battery light.

Under power I have no problems and drives just fine. It's when I put the clutch in and the RPM's drop. Once in a while(2 times in a 15 minute drive) the car just cuts out and the only light that comes on is the Battery light. I can start the car right back up and keep going. I have a vag-com and have scanned multiple times for codes but come up with nothing.

Heading to a 'zone' on Sunday for a "charging system diagnostic" in belief that it's either a bad connection to the alternator OR Alternator on it's way out.

Any other thoughts if the ALT is alright?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
sounds more like the maf dude

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought that if I threw a CEL of some sort but I am getting nothing..... I'll unplug it and go for a ride Sunday for kicks....

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unplugged MAF last night. Took it for a short drive as well as drove in to work today. So far it has not stalled on me. Going to continue to drive it the weekend and see if it happens again or not. If not then MAF replacement in VERY near future.

Hope this does it!

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
try washing the maf in 90% isopropyl alcohol before you drop the coin on a new one.

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give that a try if I run out of MAF cleaner. :)

I am just amazed that I am not getting a CEL if it's the MAF going bad!?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
mine would do that a lot with no light, swapped it....runs awesome since.

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MAF was supposed to have been replaced a few months back when I had all the other 'work' done for the bent valves. I believe that I should be able to bring it back to the shop for a replacement as it should be under the 2 year 20,000 mile warranty they supply.

Going to try to clean it first....

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't bother trying to clean it just yet. Going to contact the shop today. Car ran just fine all weekend with MAF unplugged. Kudo's to JC.....

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
right on, hopefully they swap it for free considering all the dough you dropped into their pockets

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NEVER GO TO O'RILLEY MOTORS IN MILWAUKEE........

Called the shop and they want me to pay $90 to have it diagnosed and if it's the MAF they will replace it. After I explained that I unplugged it and I have had zero issues. They are not 'convinced' it's the MAF.I have had it with that place.

Going to get on on my own after I give it a good cleaning this weekend and see how it goes.

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
that's pretty normal.

we would have said the same thing, we do not and can not accept the customers own diagnosis.

we would charge you the 1 hour diag and it would go towards the repair if you chose to have us fix it. if you chose to just buy the part and leave then we would have gotten paid for our time.

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand, and if it were ANYWHERE else and I had been treated better in the past I would not have an issue with it. The place that I had the car at took 3 months to fix it. In the end they replaced all the valves and whole top of engine), new ECU and wiring harness. I got out of there $5,500 later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts