NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 October 2005
Stanford Racing and Volkswagen First to Finish DARPA Grand Challange

Stanford and Volkswagen's Touareg, nicknamed "Stanley", Finishes 132 mile course in just under 7 hours

What a difference a year makes! In 2004, DARPA held its first-ever DARPA Grand Challenge, wherein competitors had to build autonomous vehicles capable of successfully navigating DARPA'S desert course. None succeeded; in fact, most barely even made it past the starting line.

This year, most of the finalists have been able to beat the best distance travelled in last year's Grand Challenge, and at the time of this writing, two have already finished the course. The first to finish is none other than Stanley, the Touareg R5 TDI run by Stanford and Volkswagen.

Not since Herbie has a Volkswagen driven by itself, but unlike the aircooled moviestar, Stanley required no special effects to finish the race without a driver. The Volkswagen Toaureg named Stanley has served as a veritable poster boy and media darling for the DARPA Grand Challence '05, appearing in news reports and magazine articles, and Stanley's flawless finish proves that the reputation is well-deserved.

Update:

Initially, there was some confusion as to whether Stanly, did in fact win the Grand Challange because, despite being first through the finish line, the Grand Challenge is a timed race with staggared starts. Once all the vehicles were either disabled or had crossed the finish line, DARPA tallied up the scores, deducting seconds for each pause the vehicles had during the race, and confirmed that Stanly is the winner, giving the Stanford team the $2 million prize. To be exact, Stanley covered the course in exactly 6 hours, 53 minutes, and 58 seconds.

Five autonomous vehicles in total finished the course. Second and third place went to Carnegie Mellon's two entries, "Sandstorm" (7:04:50) and "Highlander" (7:14:00). Fourth was the Gray Team's "KAT-5" (7:30:16). Finally, Oshkosh Truck's huge 16-ton truck, "TerraMax" completed the course, but failed to beat the required 10-hour time.

For more information on Stanley, visit http://www.stanfordracing.org

For more coverage on the DARPA Grand Challenge, visit Tom's Hardware Guide's coverage

by: Alfonso Surroca

---​

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Right on! Touaregs Rule!! :party: :clap:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I believe the timing is still being worked out, but I think Stanley got it by 5min. It's a timed event and not a first across the line wins the race.

Anyhoo, it was alot of fun to keep up online with it. I didn't post to much on my blog as I was going back and forth between the DARPA and the Red Bull Air Race

Here's a screen shot of the results so far. The green line is a vehicle still on course. Red, were eliminated. Blue finished the course. You can toggle these on the site.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and rushed to post this because despite the warning that this was a timed event, Stanley beat the other times by a considerable amount, despite having to pause more times than Carnegie Mellon's Red Team (pause times will be deducted from the listed time once the last vehicle finishes the race).

They're discussing the same "did Stanley win, or what?" issue over at Engadget right now. They figured the same things I did and also declared Stanley the winner initially.

I'm going to wait until the official word later today before I update my post. :)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
ya, its official. ill let you post up.

it was hard as i was watching online and then to find out about pauses etc, so all times had to be calculated, probably some algorithms :D and the like..

i posted it to my blog as well.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, DARPA director Dr. Tony Tether, sets a medal on Stanford Racing Team's Stanley # 03, a tricked-out Volkswagen Touareg R5 before declaring it the official winner of the DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 in Primm, Nevada, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2005. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Stanford Racing Team's members hold a $2-million dollar check, after their unmanned vehicle Stanley, a tricked-out Volkswagen Touareg R5 was declared the official winner of the DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 in Primm, Nevada, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2005. Some 23 robotic ground vehicles started the 132 miles Mojave Desert race, but only five were able to complete it. Stanford's winning entry, Stanley, posted a time of 6:53:53. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

Attachments

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Photos

Update time!

It took a few days, but Volkswagen finally wrote up an official press release and stuck a bunch of nice photos on their media site. It's about time. I was having a hard time finding some good photos of the winning team.

Here's the thread. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts