1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just heard about this on NPR:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1598086,00.html and here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2005-10-19-starbucks-quote_x.htm

i have to say, this bothers me. i don't believe in god, and though i have no problem with people who do, it's a hot topic and doesn't need to be plastered on coffee cups. i think this has the potential for problem here.

does anyone else find a problem with this? quotes are one thing, but overt political and social views are not what i want to see on my coffee cup in the morning. if you read about starbucks campaign, "the way i see it", you can see why they started this, but you know what? i want coffee, not a take on life.

anyone? thoughts? the way i see it, this irks me. :mad:

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. They have as much right to put whatever on their cups, napkins, and bags as you and every other consumer has the right to patronize or not patronize them because of it.

Companies exist to make money, so they do whatever informs/inspires/interests the most people while generating the fewest complaints/investigations. I submit that if these quotes offend enough people they will go away. Converesly, if consumers like them, other companies could copy them.

Just for the record, my answer is the same regardless of whether the source of the quotes is Rev. Rick Warren, Gerina Dunwich, Anton Lavey, or our own retrorich:D I just don't see any problem with it.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I vote "LAME".

Sounds like they're just using religion to get a lil' advertising to me.

Yep, I guess they're tired of the evil empire image; so they're going to play the evil empire that uses the good image to change their image. Way to spin there Starbucks. :)

*Guess I shoulda stopped by a starbucks' this isn't nearly as bad as I had thought when the idea was presented to me. But yeah, if they just plastered a bible quote on each cup; I don't think I'd be diggin' it.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CaptainXeroid said:
They have as much right to put whatever on their cups, napkins, and bags as you and every other consumer has the right to patronize or not patronize them because of it.
you're right - they do have the right. i guess i just see it as a risky move for a business. they had a "pro gay" (or so it seemed) messages, too, and though i am very pro gay, i just think these types of messages have the potential to alienate their customers, in either direction. it's a risky move when a company showcases its views on politics, religion and homosexuality. in all fairness, if you actually read about the campaign, it's just meant to inspire conversation, not alienate. however, people are getting their panties in a bind over some of the quotes.

sure, they have the right, but personally, i like my coffee without someone's views on gays or god on the side of the cup. i just thought it was an interesting stance to take. i guess i can choose not to do business with them. good thing i don't like their coffee in the first place. but their mochas.... mmmm...

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
I used to work at Starbucks and the "The Way I See It" campaign was to encourage discussion and communication amongst all people; one of the most common things that should be happening at a coffee shop! They would take quotes from what people wrote to them. It looks like they were not only successful in the stores, but in other places as well (like here!) I think if you look into this a little deeper it is not "what Starbucks believes" that is being printed on the cups but what others have written it to have printed on the cups.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
silverspeedbuggy said:
I think if you look into this a little deeper it is not "what Starbucks believes" that is being printed on the cups but what others have written it to have printed on the cups.
agreed. still don't like it though. :) i think there's a place for religion and it's not in starbucks. however, taking into consideration your point, i know it wasn't meant to be a statement from starbucks about god, but knowing most people don't peel away the layers of things, a lot of people will take this the wrong way.

·
same bludden, more taste!
105 Posts
Hey, freedom of speech - that's the way it goes!

Well, unless it's not your kind of speech in some cases; a quote from the first article:

Starbucks has printed 63 quotes from writers, performers, academics and politicians on its cups over the past year as part of a campaign called The Way I See It. This is the first one that is explicitly religious. Last month a contractor for Baylor University, a Baptist institution in Texas, removed cups carrying a quote by the author Armistead Maupin saying: "My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long ... life is too damn short."
I'd rather not be like them. Vive la difference!

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
Wow! Now that StarBucks is pushing the 'gay agenda', I guess the fundies will call for a boycott.;)

I think the sayings or cartoons or promotional information makes the cups more entertaining than just having the company logo on them. I'm not a coffee drinker, but maybe I'll track down a StarBucks and patronize them for doing something risky.:p

Click here for more information from StarBuck's web site about 'The Way I See It' program.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
So much controversy over something we'll all toss in the trash once we're done drinking it anyway ;).

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Starbucks:

1.- The shallow speech arenas of the world.
2.-The Walmart of "hey I am cool and trendy"
3.-They dont even make great cofee.
4.-Just because some hollywood fauna appeared in there in some movies, doesnt make it "good"
5.-They can put whatever on their stuff, they are playing along with people.
6.-Tons of people go there sip their cofee and stare blank at a wall, so why not engage some brains with clever quotes?
7.-If they really need attention or making people understand, they should quote que Quoran, Budda, and other religions....but heck back to point 1 Starbucks is the shallow conversation/speech arenas of the world...

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Am I the only one here to LOVES Starbuck's?:confused: Yeah, they're a little pricey, but they're a trendy place to go if you want to socialize with your friends outside of a bar atmosphere. I don't go there and hang out for hours a time, but I do enjoy it. :eek:

Toad said:
I dont like starbucks, naver have, never will. I will die happy if i never step foot in one.
Dude! How do you know that you don't like it if you've never been in one? :p

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think their coffee is some of the nastiest stuff on earth. but their mochas now... yummies. yeah, we just got one here and sure, they are all trendy and whatnot. not really some place i am going to go for hours, but it DOES provide an alternative to bars and the bar scene for those of us who don't drink, as shannon said.

as for the messages, they have the right to print them, we have the right not to support starbucks.

what irks me most about most coffee places, starbucks included, is that they can never make the same drink twice. sometimes my mocha is good, sometimes it's crap! and for $4 a pop, you should establish some kind of consistency!

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
callisto9 said:
as for the messages, they have the right to print them, we have the right not to support starbucks.

Very well said Erin! Also, I'm not a coffee drinker myself, I'm more of a capuccino/frapuccino kind of guy. With that said, all of this talk of Starbuck's on top of the long day I have ahead of me has prompted me to get dressed and drive 25 minutes to Starbuck's for a morning fix.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I like Fourbucks, because their coffee is stong.

If given the choice between a fourbucks, and a local coffee house though, local wins everytime. My vain attempt to 'stick it to the man'. However, this campaign they are doing, is to get people to think about things that may offend, or may just be outside of your comfort zone.

All to often we tend to stay within the confines of what is 'comfortable', fearing to think about things that require analysis, and justification for your view. Without making any comment on the success of the program, the attack against fourbucks for including a quote about homosexuality indicated that it worked. The sad part is the retaliation against them by religious groups who don't share the company's view on tolerance and acceptance, which ironically is what the quote was really about.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I completelly agree, they have the right to put whatever in their cups, I really should not be an issue, if you like em good, If you dont, well dont buy there or dont read em...

For me its like chinnese lucky cookies, you may like em or not you may open them and read the small paper.....nobody is pointing a gun....its all about choice.

Now if they asked me to put some messages I really be more aggresive...like:

"You should call your friends, even if its only to say hello"

"That person infront of you sipping coffe all alone, may be the person you habe been looking all your life"

Something like that...I hate people eating alone or drinking alone.....YUK

·
R.I.P 12/21/2006 - 65 Years Young.
307 Posts
Starbuck's coffee is very good but way overpriced. Mostly we go to Breuggers. They don't have the fancy coffee drinks, and sell bagels and sandwiches rather than pastries.

As for the quote cups, I see nothing wrong with those. As others have said, customers can read them or not as they wish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts