NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's car is a 2002 New Beetle GLS. He was driving yesterday and it die at a light. It was acting very strangely. We pushed it to a parking lot and ultimately have it towed home. Prior to that it had been running just fine with no issues to speak of.

We noticed that the key didn't turn all of the way in the ignition. Suddently the horn didn't work, the blinkers, etc. I searched online and found that it was almost definitely an ignition switch. I bought that this morning and replaced it. Horn, blinkers, etc now work, key turns properly but tried to start the car an... nothing. It won't turn over at all.

So I started digging some more. Well, maybe it's the starter? I don't know. That seems fishy. Can both things go at once? I did a voltage test with the starter in the car and it was getting voltage. So I went through the joying exerience of removing it (ugh) and now have it out of the car. I've tried bench testing it and can't get it to do anything. I have a Haynes manual and have looked at a couple of things online but I'm still not convinced that I'm testing right. Regardless, it does nothing.

But... before I go and replace this, is there anything else that I should be looking at? I don't want to just throw parts at this car not knowing what could be wrong with it. :p

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow that was some messed on English on my part. Sorry for the typos and brokenness, it was 1:30am and I had been working on the car since about 4pm after having worked since 7am. Long days.

Anyway, thank you for the reply. I definitely did read about that pigtail melting during the research so I did check it and it looked fine. I'm about to take the starter to an auto parts place to see if they can bench test it and make it do anything so we'll see.

While there was a click when turning the ignition, it wasn't the loud "pop" that I'm used to hearing when a solenoid kicks. It was a much lesser "click". Also before I took the whole thing apart when I would turn the key to "accessory" I could hear something running in the engine compartment (fuel pumping?) for a few seconds. Then when turning the ignition, not much of anything. I even had my head under the car at the starter while my son turned the key and it didn't make any noise, despite getting the 12 volts when the key was turned to on.

Any other help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

--Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And... it was the starter. I took the starter to the auto parts store and they tested it as bad. When he pulled the new starter out of the box I could see the difference between the two. The bad one from the car looked like the solenoid engaged and never disengaged. That doesn't explain why the car died on him while he was driving so we're not out of the woods yet but now that the car will start and run I am going to take it to get the alternator checked.

Thanks for looking at my post, hopefully it will help someone else down the line.

--Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts