NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Beetle with the 2.0L Auto. We are original owners. In removing the starter to have it tested, I broke off the top starter bolt inside the engine block. The broken part of the bolt is recessed in the block. Attached is a picture of the two bolts. To top it off, about two days after removing the starter, my transmission has leaked fluid all over the ground. I don't know if removing the starter and the trans. leak are related. Has anyone ever attempted to remove a broken starter bolt for a Beetle by drilling it out? How difficult is this going to be? Thank you. --Ray

Attachments

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Removing the starter should not cause or create a transmission leak on any vehicle that I'm aware of. There could be a line in the general area that might have been disturbed for the cooler? (Keeping in mind I've not worked on Bugs before ours, and we're having our own issues LOL)

But speaking in general. No it should not have leaked out fluid by just removing the starter. I would wipe down the area and inspect any lines and do a general inspection. I would suspect something got disturbed when it (the starter) was removed.

As for the busted bolt? If there is anything sticking out that you can grab with vice grips? Then it's a start. Just PB Blaster the snot out of it. Most likely it will have to be drilled out. (I suggest using a reverse drill bit. Sometimes it can grab the metal and spin it out on it's own threads). Worse case it might be an drill bit and extractor---and then drill it out and run a tap or heli coil thread kit into it.

Now this is just my .02cents. Please wait to hear from other members with more time and knowledge then I have before ripping it apart.

S-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the information, especially about the transmission leak. I've decided to take it in to a shop to have the bolt removed. Here's a picture of it now. Thanks.

--Ray

Attachments

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Very common problem with two different metals in use. When the starter is finally reinstalled? Please ensure they use a light coating of "Anti Seize" on them. That should keep this from happening again.

It's not the worst I've seen. But it might take a 90deg. close quarters drill/bit combo to dig that out. From there it's just a thread repair "HeliCoil" type operation and you'll be back in good shape. It all depends on the space/opening to work with. This is not an easy one to fix. (It's not impossible...just a PITA)

Good luck with it!

S-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts