NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that this has been discussed before but wanted to clarify some things before going full bore on a starter motor replacement.

2001 Beetle, won't start from time to time. When turning the ignition it is one click and nothing else. All lights and bells are working. A couple of times now my girlfriend, and it is her car, has had it jumped but I think this may be coincidence. Today I tried starting it, same single click and no start. Checked the battery and it read mid 12's. Tried various things, e-brake on, off, in gear, not in gear. (standard by the way) Eventually lifted the car and gave the starter a good couple of whacks. Did not start. Whacked it again and on the second attempt it started. Battery read 14+ when running. I stopped and started the car numerous times after with various brake, gear combinations and it started right up every time. I was by myself so could not check voltage while actually starting the car.

I am assuming the starter is starting to get sticky and needs replacement before it completely gives it up. Plus, she isn't going to jack the left front of the car and get under with a drift and hammer every morning. Based on the description can anyone tell me anything else to look for or if I am headed in the wrong direction? I found one comprehensive guide on replacing the starter but wouldn't mind looking at a couple of accounts if others are available. I do most of my own work on my Land Rover Discovery so am fairly mechanical and, better yet, have a good selection of metric tools.

Thank you very much for the help.
Mark

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, it is either seizing up and the whack with the hammer is knocking it loose, or an electrical connection is loose and the whack with the hammer luckily caused it to make contact.

Have you heard any grinding noise just after starting the car?

I've had my starter replaced and prior to getting it done my starter would make a coffee grinding noise just after the engine started and I let off on the ignition key. According to my mechanic this was the starter grinding down to a halt and eventually would have seized up.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
usually with just one click, that means dead battery....

do the lights go out on the dash when you try to start it?
have you checked the connection on the battery, starter, and ground to chassis for tightness and corrosion?

·
Registered
412 Posts
usually with just one click, that means dead battery....

do the lights go out on the dash when you try to start it?
have you checked the connection on the battery, starter, and ground to chassis for tightness and corrosion?
Not to hijack the thread, but my car isn't starting. The dash lights work, attempt to start results in a click, and then the dash lights go out. What does this mean? Is there anything I can do to get it started temporarily so I can move it?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but my car isn't starting. The dash lights work, attempt to start results in a click, and then the dash lights go out. What does this mean? Is there anything I can do to get it started temporarily so I can move it?
Have you tried to jump start it? Could be a dead battery or alternator. Also the iginition switch could be a culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts