NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually on the first start of the day there is a noise after the engine starts and the key is released. This does not happen when after the engine is warm or has been run. This happening (or happened) to anyone else? It has about 74,000 miles.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
this happens to me almost every cold start now. Many people have told me that the starter is dying, but it's been doin that noise for a long long itme, and still it starts fine.

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Ditto. I suppose as long as it keeps working, and hoping it isn't doing something to the engine, I can put up with it. I just hope it's not doing anything bad to the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
High pitched screeching noise?

It this noise a high pitched screeching noise. A noise that sounds like you are engaging the starter into an already running engine? If so, the starter drive is hanging up and not disengaging fast enough after the engine starts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
does it sound like a fan spinning, if so I have been told here that it is a secondary air pump and it is common tp make that noise....

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Pop the starter off, clean it prop shaft, grease it up well, reinstall. It gets like that due to clutch dust.

I was going to do that to my '00, but the dealer was able to get the ext. warranty co. to replace it... :D

-Des

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Cool, thanks for the fix tips, Des! I'll have to give that a try.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deserion said:
Pop the starter off, clean it prop shaft, grease it up well, reinstall. It gets like that due to clutch dust.

I was going to do that to my '00, but the dealer was able to get the ext. warranty co. to replace it... :D

-Des
What kind of cleaner to use? The shop is going to pull it to clean and isn't sure. Not having done this before I can't recommend something to them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
just change out the starter, mine used to do the same thing, that noise comes from like dust build up i think? from the clutch?
anyway mine made that screech forever then one day it just stopped workin, starter, is a easy 2 bolt 2 hr diy

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
Mine makes noise in the cold weather. Only does it then though. Started noticing it last winter. Went away when Spring came along. Its back, but honsetly, I'm not touching it. Its not hurting anything from what I've read. If I'm going to take it out to clean it, I'll probably just put a new one in instead.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Is there a thread on "how to" remove and/or replace a starter on here? Haven't found it. If so, can someone post a link? :)
There is a writeup on TDIclub.com for a TDI Jetta, but as for the starter its all the same stuff. Just remove the battery and tray, disconnect the cable and solenoid connector, remove 2 bolts and its out. Disassemble, clean, lube and slap it back together.

I would post a link but its hard to search from my phone. Use the search function, use the keyword starter and search for posts by me.

Sent from my DROID2

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Okay so I decided to be a nice guy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=844411

You really should learn how to use the search function though, lots of info to be found. That and there is this new fangled thing called google. ;)

One example from a quick google search for "VW starter removal":
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2269482

Sent from my DROID2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay so I decided to be a nice guy:
How to re & re the starter - TDIClub Forums

You really should learn how to use the search function though, lots of info to be found. That and there is this new fangled thing called google. ;)
Thanks DZLBUG!

I did use the search function... even the advanced option, but I must be missing something. :)

Also, I did use the google search. I came to several other 'how to's'. I trust the members of this forum more though.

In other forums, they have said to place a jack underneath the engine before removing starter bolts because they are the same bolts that hold the engine mounts. Is this necessary?

Also read to "A memory keeper device should be inserted in the cigar lighter socket in the passenger compartment. This retains original settings programmed in the computers memory." Should I do this also? Do I get a memory keeper device at a auto parts store?

Thanks!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Memory keeper is not necessary. Neither is a jack. The starter bolts go through the bellhousing and into the block, but there are enough other bolts to support everything.

Sent from my DROID2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts