VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which socket terminals should be 12v when Turning key to start on main relay panel in the start circuit? I don't have a manual or wiring diagram yet and the free one is difficult to navigate with the media devices I have available. I posted pictures of the panel with and without relays plugged in.

Attachments

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, must have asked the wrong question. Start wire on starter not powering on when Turning key or using remote start. Gear selector on digital readout not switching when shifting in start position to neutral or any other gear. Thinking may be gear range selector switch. Anyone know a test off of vehicle, or taken one apart to clean? If I can trace the path to start wire through relays or sensors this should get this car going.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2002 1.8 turbo.auto trans. Appears to be a 01m but not sure. I don't have a scan tool. I want to get a Ross tech vcsd but can't at the moment. Online wire diagrams are not helping. 12.75volts battery charge. Underhood fuses all check out at main fuse box over battery.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Well, thats not a good sign; vcds or equivalent, would be helpful to read trans controller codes and view live data.

Having this testing capability; would make troubleshooting and narrowing down the problem much easier.

01M is the 4 speed; 09G is the 6 speed.

Otherwise, i guess you could go to a junkyard and get parts, you think could be faulty and swap them in, see if that helps? The shifter assembly; very commonly breaks and falls apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,115 Posts
I doubt any 02’s had remote start so likely that is aftermarket and could be the cause of your starting issue.

By “start wire” do you mean the small wire clipped to the starter beside the large battery wire? The large battery wire should have battery voltage all the time. The little start or “trigger” wire only has voltage when the key is in the start position. You would need a helper to turn the key while you checked with a multimeter for voltage.

If the trigger wire is getting voltage and the car is not starting your starter is bad. If the trigger wire is not getting voltage then you have a problem elsewhere, ignition switch, transmission sensor, brake sensor or some other sensor that the ecu needs to check before allowing the car to start.

Or back to that aftermarket remote start.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've checked ignition switch good getting power, brake switch getting power, start relay as pictured earlier getting power. The small start wire going to solenoid is not getting power. I know starter is good will turn over when manually putting 12v to start wire. I am going to check the plug going to range selector switch and need to check neutral safety switch but may be one and the same. Any way to manually check range selector switch off of car with multimeter? I'll work on trying to get a vcds scan tool but have to do this manually till then.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Is there a remote starter switch (?); got a photo of it? Many of these aftermarket accessory add ons, typically fail or are hooked up incorrectly, causing problems.

The New Beetle, in stock form; never came with a remote starter or push button starter switch.

If there is one, going back to stock and fixing the wiring harness, to the original configuration, many times will be the fix.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've looked over the remote start system and actually get more activity and system activation with the remote start attempting to start the car. I found the owners instalation manual and all the wiring appears in order. I just can't get the start activation wire to get 12 volts.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Well, you might bypass the remote starter and see if that makes a difference; seeing how, that is a specific variable and change that has been made, related to your problem.

A full scan with a vw specific scan tool; would be helpful, to see if there are any related trouble codes (transmission sensors, etc).

Have you tested or bypassed starter relay?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Replaced range selector/neutral safety switch. Getting power to start wire now switch must have been bad. Battery is down to 12.16v so gotta charge to do some additional testing. I have a borrowed action scanner I will use to test the system after I get it charged up(I know this is only a very basic scan for this vehicle but all i have at the moment. Ill update again tomorrow.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok car is turning over with key and remote start. Scanned with actron scanner(only one available to me at the moment). Codes are as follows P0705[already corrected], and P0010. Says cam sensor but search inconclusive. Gonna put some fresh fuel in and fresh oil and coolant. And see how it goes.

· Registered
19,260 Posts

The cam tensioner, is known for wearing out; the cam chain will get noisy, listen for noise on the top of the valve cover on the drivers side.

Testing info:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts