NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 new beetle, 1.8t APH motor manual transmission. When I turn the key the starter runs but does not engage, any ideas? Loose connection somewhere? The car died getting off the freeway and will not crank over, the starter sounds normal but the motor isn't cranking over. Timing belt is not broken. Is the Dual mass broke? Help please.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
A bit suspicious that all of this happened at the same time.

Usually if the starter turns, but the engine does not, the starter driver or clutch is bad. Also referred to as the starter Bendix by the old school crowd. It is a one way clutch that can slip with age, but usually does not just all the sudden go without warning. Also the when the starter clutch does go, it does not sound 100% normal.

How many miles are on the timing belt? How do you know it not break? Since it is a manual transmission car, you should be able to roll start it.

I am very suspicious about the timing belt on this engine from the events that occurred.

See picture of starter drive below. Again it is a one way clutch, but they do not fail like the big V8 drives used to fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the timing cover off and the timing set doesnt move. The belt appears to be intact. The car has 75k on it. When you turn the key to the start position you can hear the starter run, it doesn't sound broken, but the engine does not crank. I'm wondering if the ignition switch could of failed? That would explain why it died but when you turn the key on everything seems to work normally.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You have to be careful here.

The timing belt may not be broken, the belt teeth may have been stripped at the crank gear and the crank could spin without the belt moving.

Just watch the alternator and belt, does this turn when the engine cranks?

Again, not likely the ignition switch.

Take a video and post it with it showing the alternator belt and make sure the sound is good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got a chance to look at it and the timing belt isn't spinning but the alternator belt does, I can see the cog or whatever that drives the timing belt is spinning but the belt isn't, soooo the crank is spinning but the timing belt isn't...please baby jeebus tell me this isn't an interference motor haha.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Sadly the only thing to do now? Is to start upper engine tear down and inspection. If lucky? Just the valves and head damage. They can be rebuilt, or you can purchase a rebuilt from a parts house--or check salvage yards to see if they have one. I would recommend for the used ones to have a machine shop clean and inspect it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with others here. But these things happen a lot. I'd be the first one to say toss the recommended replacement cycle for these parts and bump down another 20k miles to be safe.

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep, unfortunately this in an interference motor. 98+% you have bent valves at this point and the cylinder head will need to come off the car.

Sad situation, you could have spent $600-$700 for a timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and belts and you could still be driving the car. But now you are probably looking at least 3 times this amount.

Sorry to say, the car is 12 years old, not likely worth spending more money on it, sell it as is and move on.

If you want another New Beetle, get a 2.5l which does not have a timing belt, or expect to replace the timing belt on a new/used Beetle with a 1.8t or 2.0l unless there is absolute proof the timing belt was changed.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.

Good luck with moving forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts