VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a used 05 Beetle Convertible and it consistently dies on me. It seems to do alright if I'm driving around town but if it sits overnight it goes dead and won't turn over. If I leave it for more than a night it completely dies. I don't think that I'm leaving anything on inside (chargers, radio, lights)but something has to be draining my battery. I had the battery checked and replaced about a month ago and it is still dead when I get in to start it. I have an issue with my passenger door not dropping and raising when I close and open the door. I've read on some of these forums that that might be parasitic on my battery. I've also read about fuse problems being an issue. My car is sitting in a parking lot, I tried to jump it last night and it wouldn't charge. I don't know what to do next. Help!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This should be pretty easy to narrow down.

Yes the door latches on these cars are a problem. Make sure on the passenger side when the door is closed, the light in the door is actually off. Also make sure the interior lights are also off.

If the car has a Monsoon audio system, the Monsoon amps are known for not shutting off.

A simple test light or a multi meter with a 10 Amp scale can be used to measure the current draw when the car sits and usually removing or checking fuses will allow you to narrow the problem down.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Our NBC had this exact problem in our '05 and it turned out to be the radio, which was not a Monsoon (no amp in the back of the car). The CD player on ours was broken, and I suspect that was causing it not to "go to sleep" completely when the car was turned off. I had an auto parts store check the battery and they said it was fine, but needed charged (which they did for free).

I concluded this was the cause when I pulled the radio fuse and the car started just fine after sitting for the weekend. I replaced it with an aftermarket Kenwood from Crutchfield, since they throw in the dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter for free. It's never had a problem since.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
jfoj nailed it...door switch.

I just finished posting my pump escapades on the new "Fuel Pump" thread. Hopefully the following will be of some help to you:

===================from the new fuel pump thread======================

I've had Fuel pump issues and might have your cure; but first a few questions.

Do you drive your beetle for a length of time, i.e., to work for the day and back home, then the next day it dies? Even if you drive to work, park it for a while and it dies upon restart?

Are you also having issues with your driver's side door lock, e.g., the alarm doesn't arm intermittently?

My beetle has suffered these issues and the culprit of the fuel pump is the door lock micro switch.

The micro switch has poor soldering and fails over time, by way of cracked solder and poor connection. This is becoming a problem with many MKV VW's. The solution is buying a new door switch OR repairing your current switch, by removing and re-solder the micro switch with better grade solder.

Yes, this is screwy that the fuel pump runs through the door switch, but it does.

A few more quirky things about my fuel pump incident:
went through 3- 1 salvage, & 2 via the auto parts jobber. The third was a keeper. In technical hindsight, the 2nd one was good too...tell ya why.

On pump #3 I made a kill switch from the fuse panel, starving the pump from power when she was parked, especially overnight. Well one night I forgot to turn on the kill switch, and the next morning, she wouldn't start. Frustrated, I let her sit for a day with the kill switch on. Next day, went out to see if the pump was really toast, and tried to start her up. Turned off the kill switch, turned the key, heard the pump prime and she started up.

BTW, The kill switch is a temp. After troubleshooting and scratching my head, I initially pulled the fuse and plugged it in when I needed to go anywhere; that got old, hence the kill switch.

This might not be your issue, but it just might. Maybe this will be a help to you.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
On the OP car it appears the passenger side door switch is bad, however, my 2003 is on the 5th and 6th door latch. 2 originals, 2 replacements, now another 2 replacements.

The doors POUND the door latches to death in these cars.

You only need to use your pinky finger to close the doors, no need to hardly pull them. The convertible is even a bigger issue because the windows drop and the top provides NO air resistance.

I reach over and use my right hand to cushion the door from slamming when passengers get out of the car.

Unfortunately it is just a fact of life with the New Beetles and the convertibles are even more of an issue.

I also do agree that some of the non Monsoon systems have had CD player issues and even the CD changers may be a problem if something is stuck.

But with a cheap test light Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-5513 Heavy Duty Circuit Tester: Automotive

Or a multimeter with a 10 Amp scale you should be able to observe the draw and track it down by pulling fuses.

You will need to trip the latch in the drivers door while it is open to keep the interior lights out and some cars need to wait 20 minutes for modules to power down. The 1.8t cars will have the Aux water pump run for 10 minutes each time the key is turned off.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have an issue with my passenger door not dropping and raising when I close and open the door. I've read on some of these forums that that might be parasitic on my battery.
After re-reading the above, I agree with everyone that a malfunctioning door switch is the issue here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts