NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to a financial point where I could do some mods on my NB! :D A couple of weeks ago, I ordered my 18" rim/tire combo. Although it wasn't a very good experience due to slow shipping, I'm completely happy with my purchase. They're black Flik Justice wheels and Falken 512's (I think) tires. I just got my lowering springs in (Eibach Pro-Kit), and the shocks/struts are on the way (Eibach too). I'm in the process of planning out my brake combo (rotors/pads) as well. Figured I might as well take care of the brakes while I have the suspension torn apart.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
IgottaBug! said:
I finally got to a financial point where I could do some mods on my NB! :D A couple of weeks ago, I ordered my 18" rim/tire combo. Although it wasn't a very good experience due to slow shipping, I'm completely happy with my purchase. They're black Flik Justice wheels and Falken 512's (I think) tires. I just got my lowering springs in (Eibach Pro-Kit), and the shocks/struts are on the way (Eibach too). I'm in the process of planning out my brake combo (rotors/pads) as well. Figured I might as well take care of the brakes while I have the suspension torn apart.
Very cool! Good luck and make sure to post some before and after pics when you're done! :goodjob:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Hell yeah; movin' right along now that you've got some momentum haha.

Can't wait to see some shots after it's done.

I don't have alot of advice for brakes; but I wouldn't extend too awful far. Your stock calipers can be pretty effective if you use the right pads. There's alot of different facets to your final product, so spread it out a bit. Y'know... diversify. Just be sure to look forward enough to prevent from doing some change, just to change THAT change later on down the road. There's never a good reason to waste effort for an interim solution.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the support everyone! I'm afraid I don't have any before pics. About the only pic that I'm going to take that may count is a before pic, is before it gets dropped. My shocks should be here on the 30th, so hopefully in the first week of Oct. it'll be sittin' lower.

noR, don't worry about me going overboard on the brakes. Even though the big brake kits look good, I know that it's not needed. In the near future, I think I'll just paint the calipers, get some good slotted rotors with a good set of pads. I think for the most part I'm going to concentrate on the suspension, then brakes & interior, some engine mods, and finally the exterior. I've been trying to get my brother-in-law to tint my windows for the last two weeks, but something more important always comes up. You know how family can be sometimes.:rolleyes:

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, gotta paint the calipers pretty soon. The night time low is dropping pretty fast here - it'll be 31 degrees Friday night.:eek: My only problem now is that I haven't decided on what color to paint them. Car is silver, rims are black, but I don't want to paint the calipers black to match the rims. I don't think that I have a choice though. Any suggestions?

To add to the dilema, I think that I may have gotten burned on a couple of deals that I made on vwvortex. I bought, well at least sent money for a blow off valve and a sunroof deflector, but haven't heard from the two shady characters since then. It wasn't a whole lot of money for either part (less than $100 ea.), but money is money. I gave them until 12 pm CST tomorrow to respond or else :shoot:

·
Registered
163 Posts
my god, chase them down! money is money, and i'd be rather pissed off if i was taken for even $20 or so. :mad:

i'm partial to caliper colours that stand out; do you have any sort of 'accent' colour to your car? maybe a nice blue or something.

mine will be red... the car is platinum, but my TDI badge has red in it, and it accents my dark tailights... i know i've sounded a bit silly when doing stuff on my car, because i use lines like, "it's his colour!" :rolleyes:

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trust me, I am going to chase them down. Heard from both of them today. One says the guy in his shipping dept. didn't give him a tracking #, but he'll get it to me tomorrow. He also said that my part was shipped Sat. The other yahoo said that he hasn't received my payment yet, he's been moving, and hopes that I haven't been thinking that I was being blown off. Lesson learned - don't do deals in the vortex classifieds! Sooner or later you'll get burned.:rant:

As far as any accents go, no I don't have any. I just may have to go with red or blue and see what happens. I'm leaning towards blue mostly because it's my favorite color and it'll match the dash.:wink2:

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on MIA parts

Heard from one of the guys, and he's pretty upset that I wasn't pleased with him not keeping the lines of communication open.:runnethov

He got my money, but failed to mention that he would be moving over the weekend, and got ticked off about me accusing him of ripping me off. So his solution was to not deal with me and send me back my money tomorrow.:p

So now I'll use that money to buy some caliper paint and try to get around to painting my calipers this weekend.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done with the the frustration of dealing with a couple of characters, got a sunroof deflector installed (cut down a lot of wind noise), had the windows tinted by a relative (mistake), installing spring/shock combo in a couple of weeks, and just bought a Phatnoise system (along with masanski's custom mount) in about another week to week and a half.

Some ups and downs, but still pleased at how things are going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts