NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 NB Convertible. Recently, the car will not start, no turning over or anything. However as soon as I jump it, it starts immediately. I had the battery tested and it was good. Same thing with the alternator and starter. Any ideas on where to go from here?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You most likely have a battery issue.

If the battery is original, replace it, do not even try to test it.

I have seen bad cells or internal connections in batteries that do exactly what you indicate. Might even be a loose or bad connection to the fuse box on top of the battery. The small wire is probably loose and may be moved when jump starting the car?

They may test good once the car has been started and the battery is warmed up, but once the car sits, it will not start.

Buy yourself a cheap Voltmeter, probably under $20, check the battery Voltage when the car will not start. 12.6 Volts is a fully charged battery. Anything below 12.0 Volts is bad, battery is 75% discharged or has other problems at 12.0 Volts or lower.

Charging the Voltage should be between 13.5-14.5 Volts.

Pretty simple?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately battery age means nothing. A new battery can be faulty.

Check the Voltage starting at the battery posts and then just move the leads out from the post one connection at a time.

But you should find the battery at 12.5-12.6 Volts when you go to start the car. If you can put the leads on and watch while someone tries to start the engine, the battery should never go below about 11 Volts and this is with the engine spinning from the starter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our 2007 did the same thing

Car wouldn't start. Jumped it and it started right up. Put the charger on it overnight and it worked fine for a day or so. Had the battery tested and they said it was fine. But it still cranked slowly when starting. Replaced the battery and problem solved. Only issue - the battery was very expensive. I've had great luck with Costco batteries but they don't have them for Beetles. Shopped around and eventually got one at Pep Boys for around $100 with a coupon. Other places the battery was around $150. And as I recall, they are a PITA to install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts