VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have problems with my 2003 1.8 T. Put new starter on a week ago and now the engine will turn over but will not start on first try. Have to turn key off and try again and car will start up. Don't understand why could be just by chance, Any Idea's what it might be.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Could possibly be the crankshaft position sensor. Many people experience failure around 125,000-150,000 miles.
You may want to go to AutoZone and get your car scanned for codes and post them here.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Might be a faulty drivers door latch?

When you open the drivers door the fuel pump should prime, many other models do this when the ignition key is first turned before the engine cranks.

The fuel pump priming is pretty loud, you should hear this when you open the drivers door. Usually about a 3-4 second buzzing sound from under the car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
When you open the drivers door the fuel pump should prime, many other models do this when the ignition key is first turned before the engine cranks.
It will do both, even on a Beetle. I had my drivers door latch dead in my Beetle for some time and had no issues starting it. Same on my GTI (and it definitely used to prime when the door opened before the switch died). If the fuel pump doesn't prime at all, then there is an issue with the pump or relay. But even if your door switch is dead, it will still prime with the ignition.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Either way, it should be enough to start the car on the first go. Now, maybe the pump or relay is going and it needs that prime from the door to really help it along, but if its all healthy, a dead door switch shouldn't keep the car from starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts