VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my daughters 2000 Beetle 2.0 automatic at gas station. Electrical accessories worked but no dash warning lights and engine would not turn over. Just kind of fiddled with everything several times and it started. Moved to a different pump and left it running. It died while filling it up.
Same thing no dash warning lights when key is turned on but all accessories seemed to be working. Had wife come and hooked up jumper cables, still nothing. Ran the gear selector back and forth several times quickly and it started. Drove it home and now can't reproduce the problem. Afraid of sending my daughter back to college in it tomorrow. Any ideas what the problem is?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something else I noticed that when it wouldn't start it did not show the gear indicator across the top of the dash display.
PRND321. It was just blank.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Runs about $80 to $110 over at RockAuto.

Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor

You'll have to call around to parts stores in your area and tell them what you have EXACTLY! Including the engine ID 3 letter prefix if needed.

Rock Auto is normally the cheapest for parts, but not if you are in a hurry. This should be a standard part that can be ordered in, or may be in stock at the local Napa's and whatnots...

S-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the neutral safety switch. Still seem to have intermittent problem with ignition switch. Sometimes the car starts right up sometimes the warning lights go dim when you turn on the key sometimes they go out all the way and the car won't start. Didn't do all this before I changed the neutral safety switch it was just dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts