NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 1.8t. Starts fine when its cold (hasn't been driven , like mornings). But if i drive it and it gets to normal driving temp and turn it off its hard to start up or will not start at all (cranks over and over).

I recently changed the fuel filter thinking it was the culprit but no change. I do have a cel light on and has been on a while and had it scanned with oxygen sensors problems showing. Could this be causing it not to start correctly. Would love to have it scanned with a vag if..if..if anyone in the area has one and willing to help out.:).. Thanks for all help.. trying to make it until after Christmas to fix the oxygen sensor (because they are expensive)..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes that will do it . Your car only reads the oxygen sensors after it is warmed up and gone into a closed loop mode. That is what the technical term is. During warmup while in open loop the preset parameters just pump a little extra fuel in so your engine doesn't die out or stall, kind of like an old fashioned choke. Yes, I said old. Like since the beginning of time up until the early eighties.;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2000 1.8t. Starts fine when its cold (hasn't been driven , like mornings). But if i drive it and it gets to normal driving temp and turn it off its hard to start up or will not start at all (cranks over and over).

I recently changed the fuel filter thinking it was the culprit but no change. I do have a cel light on and has been on a while and had it scanned with oxygen sensors problems showing. Could this be causing it not to start correctly. Would love to have it scanned with a vag if..if..if anyone in the area has one and willing to help out.:).. Thanks for all help.. trying to make it until after Christmas to fix the oxygen sensor (because they are expensive)..
Have the car scanned for codes and let us know what they are. Could also be your Crankshaft Positioning Sensor or your ignition switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even when the car starts fine and runs fine when cold..I am reading a few posts about it being the temp sensor.. Any ideas?? It truly only does this when the engine is warm

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I did have it scanned.. Thats why i said.. I HAD OXYGEN SENSOR PROBLEMS.. I just would love to have it scanned with a Vag-Com..
Vag -com are nice but not absolutely necessary. A generic OBD II code reader does the trick if a Vag com isn't available.

I just never saw where you posted the codes. Sorry.
Glad you have it all fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts