NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, yesterday morning, my girlfriend went out to start her 99NB with 78k miles on it.. put the key in, turned to 2, radio turned on, all lights worked, then she tried to start, all she got was a "click". and then the "trip meter" reset. she tried to start it again, and it fired right up. same thing happened this morning, but it took her 4 times to get it to start. i'm thinking it's a dirty terminal, but what else should i look for before i start ripping at wires? the battery is new. replaced last year. when it will crank, it cranks right up. so i don't think it's the battery. it is getting colder here, and we had a lot of rain on saturday and her car didn't move all day. water somewhere? anyone else have this problem? thanks!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Could be a corroded ground.. the ground wire goes from neg terminal of the battery to a bolt on the top of the transmission. I would check both ends of that first.

But it might be the starter solenoid going bad. You might not be able to do a good diagnosis until the problem gets worse.

Incidentally, if this was an old Chevy, I would say its the neutral safety switch - that keeps it from cranking if its not in Park or Neutral. I am assuming an auto transmission - if its a manual, I think there is the same sort of switch on the clutch pedal to be sure the clutch is depressed before cranking.

Also, my Corvette had a problem where it had the exact same symptoms... and the cause was the positive battery cable.. corrosion had built up in the cable... all along the cable. I Replaced the battery and starter and cleaned the pos and neg terminals and still had the same problem. This went on for 6 months until I finally replaced the positive cable and it never did it again. I cut the insulation off the positive cable and there was dusty corrosion all inside. But this cable was 20+ years old, so I don't think that will be your problem on a 6 year old car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. i'll check corrosion first. it is a manual, btw...

i think it is corrosion related.. makes sense to me, then again it IS a VW.. (i'm used to hondas..)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Dead battery. Check the battery, see if it's dead. My 2002 did this ... eventually nothing powered will work if the battery has lost charge. Recharge/replace battery, if in a week the problem happens again it's the alternator (which, as crazy as it sounds, it could be.. my friends 98 NB has had that and the starter replaced already.. but he's got 178k on his car)

BTW: I feel for you. I just changed a 01 V6 Honda's timing belt, I'm convinced the beetle's will be 80x simpler than the Honda (it was an auto so that made it a bit harder to remove the bolt that holds the starter pulley on.. needed a special Honda tool to do it).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehee. thanks for the info on the battery.. it's new as of last year.. i'll test it tonight with the voltmeter.. may be the alt. we'll see..

as for you comment on the honda, i actually meant hondas made sense.. i've been working on them for 6-7 years now, and they are the simpleist cars i've ever worked on.. my girls bug, however, is a pita!!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
in two weeks I can give you my personal opinion, but so far removing the t/belt off my beetle *looks like* it is going to take half the time it took to do the V6... Granted, the headlights and most things electrical are weird. I think VWs are easier mechanically. I may prove myself wrong, but I don't see us taking 3 days to complete a timing belt on it ;)

(It was our first time, same with the beetle we're about to do)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow!! 3 days!!! dayum..

heheeee
i'm only used to the honda 4 cylinders.. it should only take me about 3 hours to do a timing belt on my cars.. it took me only 3 days to do a motor swap!!!

although, it did take me 2 days to do the t-belt on my nissan frontier, mainly cause i couldn't get the crank bolt off.

let me know how that t-belt goes. i've gotta do one on her car in about 2 months or so.. once i get a car for her to drive ready.. (just picked up a "beater" running 88 civic, so it should work for her "rental" car. hehee)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The book made the 4cyl out to be a cake walk, so I think you've got some logic there.

It took 3 days cause day 1 we ran into needing the special part to hold that pulley still to take the bolt off (like you ran into on the nissan I believe). The second day we got the timing futzed up and called it a day. day three we got the belt on, timing right and flushed the coolant system. We spent prolly 4-10 hours per day .. a learning experience for sure!!

I intend to take photos of the tbelt for the beetle and post it as a how-to. So I'll be sure to keep you up to date on that. Good call on the 88 beater.. rentals are EXPENSIVE!! :)

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
First off, sounds like another bad ignition switch. Pull the steering column trim off and look at the wiring where it plugs in. It usually burns it up pretty good.

As for the honda vs vw, I've been workin on Vw's professionally for years...easiest thing in the world to me. I despise having to work on Honda's...all about what you're used to.

As for the t-belt, it's easy except for wrestling the motor mount out/in. Takes me 1-1.5 hours, but I've done well over a hundred of them on all engine flavors. Make sure you do the water pump at the same time of course...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like the positive terminal wire going to the fuse box is frayed and about only half there!!! looks like i'll be stopping by VW tomorrow to pick up a replacement.. regardless if that's the problem or not, i'll still pick up a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
veedubtek said:
First off, sounds like another bad ignition switch. Pull the steering column trim off and look at the wiring where it plugs in. It usually burns it up pretty good.

As for the honda vs vw, I've been workin on Vw's professionally for years...easiest thing in the world to me. I despise having to work on Honda's...all about what you're used to.

As for the t-belt, it's easy except for wrestling the motor mount out/in. Takes me 1-1.5 hours, but I've done well over a hundred of them on all engine flavors. Make sure you do the water pump at the same time of course...
Thanks for the tip on the mount bolts. I have a metal impellar water pump from ecs tuning that's going on. I also have new engine bolts. Can you tell me what mix of coolant I need? I am thinking I need to order 2 1.5L bottles and mix two 1.5L bottles of distilled water to it?? More/less? (I haven't gotten my Bently yet to see what it says.. should be here by the weekend).

..I also think that it's what you are used to as far as which car is easier to work on, I'm still rooting vw tho ;)

E-at: I hope you're problem is resolved.... do let us know.

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
Yup, 50/50 mix

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
(My book won't be here till Nov2-15th)... is there any special tool I will need to do my belt? I want to place the order for the parts now and have them ready when my book comes, but I want to ensure I get everything I need.

I really appreciate your input, veedubtek!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem!

i have the same problem! my buggie, 98 with 115k totally died 2days ago... like i went to put the key in and turn, and nothing happened. no lights turned on or anything, but then i tried again and on the 3rd time it started just fine. but then i went to drive agian like 2 hours later and it wouldn't start at all! so i went out and got a voltmeter the next day, and checked it and it was at 10 (kinda figured it'd be low) but this time buggie tried to turn over and the lights came on and what not. but still wouldn't start up. so then today buggie first tried to start, but 2nd go it started just fine. so i looked and there was badddd corrosion around the possitive end connecting to the battery, so i cleaned that off for the most part. could that have been my problem?? kinda same as their problem? thanks all for the help!!:)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Yes, that could have been your problem. The corrosion will act as a resistor cutting down on the amount of current from the battery. If you try to start the motor a couple of times, things can get hot enough to melt a new path from the battery post to the cable allowing the motor to start. Which will corrode again.
Best thing to do is keep it clean. Try using a mixture of baking soda and water. Pour it over the battery posts, let it fizz, then wash off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts