NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Base Beetle S with steelies and stock VW hubcaps. When I bought the car, one hubcap was curbed, so I bought a new one from VW for $73. Now, I've ruined another one from scraping up against a snowbank.......:mad: I've since learned that I can get stock caps a bit cheaper online, but I'm now torn between getting VW Alloys (16 x 6.5) or just sticking with the less-expensive steelie/hubcap combo. One thing that sets me apart from most VW enthusiasts is that I'm a bone-stock kind of guy, and I would also assume that factory alloys are also superior to, say, a set of wheels for $400-$500, especially when I can get refurbished VW wheels for about $600-$700 a set. Also, what's cool is that although I have a 2010, I can get any year of 16 x 6.5 Beetle wheels. I particularly like the Eraser wheels of 2002 vintage. But....dumb as this may sound, do alloys hold up any better against chips and dings as opposed to plastic hubcaps? Hubcaps are decidedly a cheaper way to go.......... and my other option is to keep the scraped ones and use them in the winter and switch to new ones in the summer. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, Factory alloys in my opinion also are the best you can put on your Volkswagen. All automotive manufacturers worldwide spend millions of dollars on research and development,to get the best fit,balance,ride quality,and overall function out of their wheels. Personally, I really,really,really,like the look of Daytona's. And they are 17 inch wheel. Factory wheels in my opinion are very tough and durable and I love them because it keeps the stock look. Most car model lineups come with it least 1 set of nice looking wheels. Volkswagen has many to choose from,and you can always find a set of used ones for a good price.

Sent :)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
IMHO....if you are scraping up your hubcaps now, I would stick with hubcaps. Nothing looks worse then a nice wheel with a bad curb rash. Its cheaper to replace the caps then to repair a wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you for replies. I assume that most VW people, even those into water-cooled Beetles, prefer aftermarket wheels, so I didn't expect much feedback, but I was surprised to see none for a couple of days.

What I've decided to do for the time being is to replace the hubcap I just scuffed on the snowbank with another new one from VW, but I'll keep the now 2 bad ones and use them again next winter. I may even buy 2 more brand new ones so all 4 will be fresh for the summer show season. Even 4 hubcaps at dealership prices (73 x 4 = 292) are less expensive than 1 new alloy (about $350). Even 4 used alloys that have been refurbished would run about $700 with center caps.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Keep your eye on craigslist/ebay, i replaced tires and rims on my '98 with matching rims for $150 on ebay about 7 yrs ago. Picked up a set of rims needing tires for my '05 to replace the stock steelies for $100 or so last spring on craigslist.

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
05yellowbeetle has it right - i've made some amazing scores off of Craiglslist - I watch certain categories like a hawk. Especially if you live near where military people live, since they often have to deploy on short notice. You can find some insane deals.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Factory alloys in my opinion also are the best you can put on your Volkswagen. All automotive manufacturers worldwide spend millions of dollars on research and development,to get the best fit,balance,ride quality,and overall function out of their wheels. Personally, I really,really,really,like the look of Daytona's. And they are 17 inch wheel. Factory wheels in my opinion are very tough and durable and I love them because it keeps the stock look. Most car model lineups come with it least 1 set of nice looking wheels. Volkswagen has many to choose from,and you can always find a set of used ones for a good price.

Sent :)
I am now leaning towards this train of thought. Except....I'm interested in 16 x 6.5 so I can use my same tires. Hubcaps are definitely cheaper, but I've noticed something: The damaged hubcaps on the 2010 are deteriorating very fast and one of them even has clearcoat peeling off of it and it looks like hell. I now have 4 brand new ones still in their boxes, but now I fear that they too would be more vulnerable to fast wear and tear, even with careful driving. On the other hand, my other Beetle, a 2000 Cyber Green, has a set of reconditioned Monte Carlo alloys that I purchased from Hubcap Haven 4 years ago that still look good even after my newly-licensed teenage daughter drove it all winter. So I will likely see if the VW dealership's Parts Dept will refund the $300 I paid for those brand new hubcaps (or give me a credit upon returning them), and get a set of refurbished wheels at HH for the 2010 as well. To save money for now, I'll reuse the tires and pressure sensors, but keep the steelies and mount 4 other tires and get 4 more sensors on them later for next winter. Unfortunately, both my Beetles are show cars and daily drivers as well. If the dealer doesn't refund me or give me credit, I guess I'll just have 8 hubcaps........:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Beetle has steelies with hubcaps as well. I really don't like hubcaps. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade and I think I have something lined up. I'll post up some pics when I make it happen. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
My daughters '02 NB had steelies and h'caps that were all starting to show signs of deterioration. A set of '08 wheels with 40% conti tyres for $290 was a similar price to 4 new hubcaps.

No brainer for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts