VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have been quoted for a new Steering angle sensor for my VW Beetle, (petrol, 56plate, manual) to be fitted for £300 but they did suggest I could find a second hand one. However, I am struggling to find one with the exact same part number: 1J0959654BK. Do you guys know if it has to be the exact same part number as I have found one that has the same numbers but different letters at the end (AP), would this still work ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a new cluster unit installed as the previous owner did some cowboy stuff to it and completely messed it up. My mechanic installed a new cluster unit then it came up with this issue (he reckons the previous owner knew how expensive it was to get a new steering angle sensor that’s why tried to mess with the dash themselves) the engine light and the car with slip marks lights are on now. And my mechanic advised there’s a fault stored in G85 steering angle sensor defective, multiple misfire detection to cylinder 3 and lambda sensor 1 electrical malfunction.
My Beetle is 2007 and 1.6 engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Then you have nothing to loose by following the procedure in the link I posted above, I would try that before replacement. Do you know the actual codes that the mechanic found?
The misfire and oxygen sensor are not related to the steering sensor. They will be separate issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks! Will do what the link tells me to do before replacing ! Thanks ! If it still doesn’t fix my issue and I do need to replace, do you think it needs to be the exact code?
No he didn’t give me the actual codes of the issues
Yeah the misfire and oxygen was another issue... it had 2 issues when he plugged it in.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For replacement of a steering angle sensor/clock spring I would go with the same part number unless you find one that supersedes or replaces your part number. Hopefully the reset fixes it, these sensors don’t often just fail. I had to replace mine when I replaced my steering rack and like an idiot allowed my steering wheel to turn an unknown number of times. Which broke my clock spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts