NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,
I just bought a 2000 new beetle automatic that has been for more then 5 years that could not start due thar the last owners lost the keys, so I bought some keys and program them, started the car and everything is fine, until I realized that there is no power steering fluid in the reservoir, so I bought 2 bottles and them in, start the car, the steering wheel turn all the way to the left and doesn't let you turn it back to the right, I turned off the engine try to turn it to the right, start it back, same thing, it turn back all the way back to the left, what do you guys think? Replace the power steering rack? I tried to run the hoses everything looks okay to me.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Just to make it clear:

With the engine 'off' you can turn the wheels left and right. Both turn equally 'hard' as it should without power steering.

When the engine is 'on' and running. You have power steering in one direction only. And you have no power steering in the opposite direction. eg: Turns easy to the left---but won't let you turn it to the right. Does it turn itself to the left? The steering racks use a set of control valves to direct the pressure flow to the correct side of the steering gear to help "steer".

I have a feeling the system was left dry for so long that the internal control valve is stuck so it only allows power steering in one direction only. Due to the complex nature of a power steering rack? The only real solution would be to replace it. You can always try to flush it out--but I think if the rack is locked up that tight in one direction? It's going to need a full rebuild.

Others may have different ideas that might work to free it up. My voice is only one of many--So this might have happened before to someone and they know a solution other then replacement.

S-

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
One thing to try would be to make sure the air is purged from the system. Jack up the front wheels and with engine off turn the steering wheel one turn left, back to center, one turn right, back to center. Make sure the fluid level is still OK and repeat.

I'm not sure if an air pocket could cause your problem. It may be in the hydraulics inside the rack.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Try a bottle of Lucas power steering fluid. That stuff works wonders on sticky spots! It's only $10 and it's a lot easier than changing the rack now. This may or may not work. But I have seen it happen more than once before. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the power steering rack BOOM... it started working... now next issue let's check why the front left door does not unlock the right door when i open it.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Turn your key an additional turn to the unlock.

On ours:

Key to unlock once: Turns off alarm system, unlocks drivers door.

Key to unlock twice: Unlocks right door(passenger)

Key to unlock once---again and HOLD to unlock--Drivers side window rolls down.

See if that helps. If not? Additional headaches coming your way.

Very glad to know the Rack is doing well now and you can steer the car correctly!! (If it only turns to the right? Is the car owned/driven by a republican. If it only turns to the left? Is it a liberal car?)

S-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts