VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I thought on occasion my 2k beetle would jump or slide over on a tight curve so I decided to check on it. I found that some how the bolt on the ball joint stud was loose allowing the ball joint stud to move around in the knuckle . Surprisingly I didn't have any odd tire wear or handling problems other than that odd occasional jumping /slide over. I've discovered that the ball joint stud hole on the knuckle is enlarged and I can no longer tighten the ball joint stud tight enough in the knuckle . Any solutions to this problem other than replacing the knuckle ? :( TX. Eldoguy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I all ready have options lined up. Also some in expensive ones new ones on ebay too. Many are available . I wonder if this is a problem ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I’ve not heard of this issue before. I’d say someone didn’t tighten up the ball joint nut, which allowed it to wallow out the hole.

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
40 Posts
Ya I all ready have options lined up. Also some in expensive ones new ones on ebay too. Many are available . I wonder if this is a problem ?
It's not a problem for that reason. What usually happens is the wheel bearing goes out, sometimes that takes the hub out too. Instead of replacing the bearing or bearing+hub, some people just replace the whole thing. Kind of like buying 'ready struts' instead of struts, strut mount, bumper, bellow, etc.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense. much easier to plug in a complete unit than taking out old stuff and putting back in a new knuckle.

·
Registered
14,192 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This probably happened when i need a alignment and I was told the ball joints needed to be replaced. I just had a knee replacement and knew I'd be out of action for a few months so i told them to do it. Just confirming my distrust of letting others work on my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here’s a loaded knuckle. Wheel bearing included.

And a ball joint. Spidan-GKN is OEM.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Billy thanks for the tip on the loaded knuckle. I need the right side ! Super cheap and video was also helpful . ELDOGUY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts