NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My girlfriend has a beetle year 2000 and ive just put the steering wheel and airbag from the new beetle in it, obviously there is an airbag resistance difference as the airbag light wont go away, even with a reset, the steering wheel looks mint and really lifts the car, just annoying with the light.

anyone else done this?

am going to do an ipad install on it soon aswell, hopefully start this week!

Cheers

Jake

·
Registered
11,808 Posts
Your info is a little unclear; so, you replaced the steering wheel and airbag? Were the parts different; from the original? Were you having problems; before the swap? Have you scanned the car with a vw scanner? What were/are the trouble codes? Many times; if you work on the airbag system and do not; disconnect the battery, it can cause the airbag light to come on (as you are breaking the electrical circuit in the system). We need more details and a trouble codes, we can go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so the steering wheel i fitted was of the new new beetle think it was like 2012 or something ill get a photo and post it, so its a completely different airbag and steering wheel to the one that was there, just oem Volkswagen, ill get the error code tonight

·
Registered
11,808 Posts
If you have a VW scanner; scan the car for the airbag light and see what the trouble code is. See, if the airbag light can be cleared and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a VW scanner; scan the care for the airbag light and see what the trouble code is. See, if the airbag light can be cleared and see if it comes back.
I've scanned it, and it removes it but comes straight back, didn't get chance to check the code number last night, but when i read it up in the manual it said something 'like break in the airbag circuit' think it was number like 00588 but don;t hold me to that im just trying to remember

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most newer airbags have dual igniter circuits, older ones only have one. That's likely your problem. I don't know if there's a fix for that.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmmm, i don't know whether to solder into the circuit a resistor to match the new resistance of the new airbag? (what ever that maybe) and if it would even still work! don't fancy finding out though!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts