NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a power steering leak in my 02 1.8t. It seems to have just started and when I fill the reservoir it leaks out from the passengers side back by the steering rack-tie rod.

My questions are, how do you tell if a steering rack is bad and what would cause a leak on this side of the car? Also, would it just start leaking all of a sudden or could it possibly be a hose to the rack?

It leaks out fast and a lot, just trying to get some info before I crawl under to look at it after work. I did make sure the reservoir tank was not leaking and the hose to the pump was not leaking also.

One last question, how do I tell if I have Variable Ratio Steering(also called servotronic)

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I have developed a power steering leak in my 02 1.8t. It seems to have just started and when I fill the reservoir it leaks out from the passengers side back by the steering rack-tie rod.

My questions are, how do you tell if a steering rack is bad and what would cause a leak on this side of the car? Also, would it just start leaking all of a sudden or could it possibly be a hose to the rack?

It leaks out fast and a lot, just trying to get some info before I crawl under to look at it after work. I did make sure the reservoir tank was not leaking and the hose to the pump was not leaking also.

One last question, how do I tell if I have Variable Ratio Steering(also called servotronic)
It can start leaking suddenly. I just replaced mine like 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden it was leaking out pretty bad, but on the driver's side. On a lift, you could see it seeping out of both sides of the rack. It could be a hose, leaking on the passenger side. But you'd have to get underneath and look.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks oh Rani....how difficult was it to change? I just replaced the auto tranny in this about 2 months ago, and it wasn't to terrible. Also, do you know anything on the Variable Ratio Steering9servotronic)? They tell me there are two on with it and one without, and I have talked to the dealer and given them my vin but they say it is not telling them if it is or isn't.

Again, thanks for the help.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Thanks oh Rani....how difficult was it to change? I just replaced the auto tranny in this about 2 months ago, and it wasn't to terrible. Also, do you know anything on the Variable Ratio Steering9servotronic)? They tell me there are two on with it and one without, and I have talked to the dealer and given them my vin but they say it is not telling them if it is or isn't.

Again, thanks for the help.
Honestly I just got a replacement from O'Reilly's... if it's crap I get a free replacement lol. There wasn't an option for variable ratio whatever.

It's not hard to do. If you can replace an auto tranny, you can do this. Make sure to have new stretch bolts for when you lower the subframe, and a bit of OEM power steering fluid on hand, you'll lose a bit unhooking the hoses. I used maybe half of my tin of CHF. You shouldn't need more than one. If you're not using OEM power steering fluid, I'd flush it and put the correct stuff in there.

Here's a good writeup:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4326175

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick question, my steering gear boot on my passenger side has a tear in it. Will this cause me to lose power steering fluid? I have checked all the lines and everything is tight and not leaking. It is however leaking from the hole in the boot.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The CV joint is packed with axle grease. Thats what you are seeing leaking from the rubber boot.
You can replace just the boot, but if its been ripped for a while you may as well replace the unit.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Quick question, my steering gear boot on my passenger side has a tear in it. Will this cause me to lose power steering fluid? I have checked all the lines and everything is tight and not leaking. It is however leaking from the hole in the boot.

Any help is appreciated.
I think one of the posters mistook the CV boot for the rack inner tie rod boot.

The boot on the rack isn't made to retain or act as a seal for anything under pressure. It's there to keep dust bunnies and grit, dirt, and other assorted nasty bits from building up on parts that DO need to seal pressurized fluids.

If that boot is torn? Road grime and crap can get into it and then it can damage the seal(s). Most likely why it's leaking power steering fluid from the tear in the boot. The crud ate the seal(s) and once it hit just the right spot? Then it blows out and makes a mess.

I'm pretty sure the only option is to replace the rack with a reman one. (Or a salvage yard one if cost is an issue--just look for one with an "A" Rating) If you've done the transmission? Yeah, you can do a rack.

S-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts