NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Disconnect your battery first, then you'll have no problems with the airbag going off, as it needs an electric signal to blow.

After doing that, I don't think it's a good idea, but it's your NB.

Let us know how it goes though, you'll be the first as far as I know.

What you hoping to put there anyway?

SMG

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
technically, it sorta does just pop-off, it's a 10-step process. :D

Removing
CAUTION!
Before disconnecting the battery, determine the correct coding for the anti - theft radio.
- Disconnect battery Ground strap.
- Remove instrument cluster
- Release steering column adjustment.
- Turn steering wheel - 1 - , until steering wheel spoke is vertical. Extend steering wheel fully and move to uppermost position.
- Secure steering column adjustment.
- Insert screwdriver (approx. 175 mm or 7 in. long) from reverse side of steering wheel into hole in hub (insert into hub approx. 45 mm or 1-3/4 in.).
- Twist screwdriver in direction of arrow to press back clip -2- and release locking lug -3- of airbag unit.
- Turn steering wheel back 1/2-turn (180°) and release second locking lug on opposite side.
Note:
Apply light pressure to airbag unit over previously-released locking tab to prevent second tab from binding during disassembly.
- Turn steering wheel -1- to center position (road wheels straight-ahead).
- Disconnect harness connector from airbag unit.

If you found these instections useful, support who made them, buy a bently.

Attachments

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insanity, thanks for the detailed instructions anyway...ok, let me ask you this, any ideas on how to core out the center a bit so I can flush the new horn button?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Well you could always consider swapping a steering wheel with a Wolfsburg edition.

Or how about a dremel to core it out a bit?

Didn't someone say that it might be possible to take a center cap from a wheel and remove the top portion to stick on the steering wheels? I might do that if so. I want a euro steering wheel.

·
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wolfsburg Edition what? There is no Wolfsburg edition NB. I have a plain Wolfsburg badge I can stick right on top of the VW one, but it's too 'plain'. Dremel would be too crude, maybe a wide round drill type bit would work. Here's a pic if u haven't seen it yet, it has a brushed dimpled billet surround, matches the gauge needles and Turbo S budvase:

Attachments

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
No i meant off of a Jetta or a Golf or something. Honestly though, it looks good how you have it there. I too would want it recessed a bit though. It's a shame they never did a Wolfsburg Edition NB. My old 72 had the Wolfsburg logos. Would've been cool to have them on the NB as well.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
What I'd do if you don't mind totally killing your old emblem is:

Drill a hole in the center (not too deep, just till it's either seemed to go through the emblem or till you think it'll give you enough leverage).

Stick a screwdriver in the hole in the emblem, and pry at it till it pops off.

Hairdryer would be a bad idea, as would prying from the side, you'd mess up the area around the emblem with scratches and whatnot.

·
6,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FineExampl: Nothing, IMO, is cooler than the OEM leather wrapped 'round for a reason' NB steering wheel, not even the R32 wheel. I love the size and hardness of it (hmmm, I think my chick said that the other nite! :devil: )...

SMG: Great idea, thanks! but this new badge is 1/4" or so wider than the OEM badge.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
i was thiniking after i did that post, that when you dissasemble and take the airbag/front off, if theyres a way to get the front off the airbag itself, then you'll have alot better way to have an idea of what to do (i've never taken this apart meseld, fo i dunno what it looks like underneatch), and it'd be alot easier to cut it too cuz you'd be on a workbench or sumthin' other than in the car right in front of the airbag. :eek:

the only thing i see wrong with adding mods to the steering wheel, is if u crash, that mod gets blown up into your face. ouchie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts