VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took in 2004 2.0l bug with 5-speed manual for a new clutch.
Service was awful, and quality of work was poor for a repair shop.

When I got the car back, the top of the steering wheel points to the left about 10:45, where it used to point straight up to 12:00.

How can I get the steering wheel to point to center again?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Get a front end alignment and have them correct it by adjusting the tie-rods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the clutch is replaced and the drive axle is removed, then it sounds like standard operating procedure to check the alignment.

If that is true, then the people that worked on the car are even more inept that I thought.

So, would any of you go back to this place and ask for the steering to be fixed? (they won't do it, but I could ask anyway)

They seem so bad at car repair that it may be better to just pay for an alignment.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I had my automatic transmission rebuilt (by a very reputable retailer near me), and after the install, I too noticed that my steering wheel was off. (oddly, like yours, pointing that same direction).
I took it back, and he said if it was anything he/they caused by doing the trans in/out, that they'd pay for the repair.

Well, I took it to my usual alighnment joint, and it was in alignment, (toe was off a bit), so when they adjusted the toe, they straightened the steering wheel.

$60 bucks later, (a little bummed), but at least it's right.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tie rods

The folks who repaired your car did not bother to mark the tie-rod ends before removal. Here is how to attempt to repair at home if you decide to so; Mark the inner tie-rod link with permanent marker or a piece of electrical tape. Loosen both the hex jam nuts between the inner link and tie-rod ends, twist both the inner tie-rod links 1/4 turn either cw or ccw depending on which way the streering wheel is off center and pay attention to the marking. retighten the jam NUT and go for a small drive and you might need to re-adjust a few time to get it right. By the picture loosen #7 and twist #12 to make adjustments. Remember both sides equally turned. Hey, if it saves ya $80 bucks to keep from doing an alignment it's worth a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'd have it professionally aligned to prevent excessive tire wear. If the shop didn't get the steering wheel straight, I doubt they got the rest of the alignment job done right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts