NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
That is indeed an easy way to fix the spokes.... However it does not last, at least it did not last for me. I pretty much did the same on my NB (you can see the steps and pictures at the old forum: http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=548194#post548194 ) but then the paint begun to come off gain (after about 3 months). So instead than blaming my highly corrosive hands (!) I blamed the underling coating, and begun to sand it down. Sand it and sand it I'm left with the plain unpainted plastic. And surprise it is a nice charcoal gray. I put the spokes back and I am considering keeping it this way it looks really cool.
Of course I will have to make the sanding color a little bit more homogenoeous and maybe I'll still coat it with a glossy finish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pictures of the naked spokes?

Do you have pictures? Maybe you can use plastic polish to finish after using finer grit? But yes, pictures. :D

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the spokes off. Does the airbag cover need to come off first on the sterring wheel :confused: :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought I was the only one with corrosive hands! My wife says I exude acid and destroy everything. I destroyed both my remotes - the rubber basically melted. My steering wheel spokes have almost all the paint worn off on the left. I know painting it will not last - my acid will eat it again. I really like the black underneath - just need to figure out the best way to remove the rest of the paint without wrecking the spokes so they are naked.

Any ideas besides sanding???

·
Registered
944 Posts
Spokes

ERICWC said:
I thought I was the only one with corrosive hands! My wife says I exude acid and destroy everything. I destroyed both my remotes - the rubber basically melted. My steering wheel spokes have almost all the paint worn off on the left. I know painting it will not last - my acid will eat it again. I really like the black underneath - just need to figure out the best way to remove the rest of the paint without wrecking the spokes so they are naked.

Any ideas besides sanding???
Are they still connected to the frame of the wheel? They can be removed with a bit of finesse (jeweler's flathead screwdriver), light touch and patience. After that you can sand them to your hearts delight. I pulled mine and color matched them to my car with factory spray then clear coated them. They have held up nicely for over 2 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can pull them off, but I would rather remove the paint than sand. If I can remove the paint, the black underneath looks awesome. I don't really want to sand and paint. Sanding will make it harder to get the original surface nice and glossy.

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through this post and got inspired. After prying off the spokes, I wrapped them with Autozone chrome tape ( ghetto, I know ). Looks alot like the chrome inserts but for a fraction of the cost. I found it was easier to wrap them with a piece slightly larger than the cover and then trim off the excess with an exacto knife.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts