VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stereo keyholes seem stripped. No matter the size of the key that I have or shape. All I can get the keys to do is click in and click when I push them outward, but if I try to pull on them they just slide right out. It is for a cd stereo and not a cassette otherwise I might have been able to pull on the cassette player opening. I have thought about breaking into the screen where the letters display on what is happening with the stereo. But, if that did not work it would look like a huge mess. Does anyone know how to handle something like this? I am out of ideas for now.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drilling did not work. Could not break all the way past the screen. Made a huge mess. However sticking a metal panel remover into the stereo gave it enough pull that if I could unlock it I could get the stereo out. However, I am not able to unlock it as I thought I was. I can figure no solution to this. What a distressing problem to find yourself in.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got the face plate off. Now there is this metal cage that is stuck very firmly beneath where the face plate was at. I chipped a bit of the paneling that I will most likely have to sand down, and hopefully a paint job or vinyl wrap will cover that up. But, I cannot get the face plate off. I was looking for where the release springs should be and I cannot find them even though you think that it would be easy. But, it is not. Not one bit. I am considering seeing if Best Buy will tear it out. I was considering bending the plate to get the screws beneath the radio out so I can just take that paneling off. Thinking that it would give me a better shot at the remainder of the stereo, but I have no idea what kind of screws those take right now. It looks like a button star hex socket. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
419 Posts
Have you tried making the removal tools sharper to maybe catch harder? I really have no real advice here. I wish I did, my apologies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.