VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 NB conv. The top of the dash board, the surrounding areas that include the door panels and have developed a stickiness to them. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can I do to correct this.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'm thinking he wanted to know if this was a common problem, and if so how to correct it. (as in, best products to use and methods)

I'm interested as well, because our 2001 Beetle also has a sticky think film all over the plastic parts. I can scrape it off with my fingernail. Don't feel like doing that all weekend to remove it however LOL.

S-

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Do a search for interior painting - lots of info and threads. Many owners have used acetone and a scotch brite pad or similar products to prep for painting. I removed several pieces and took them to a body shop. They removed the "soft touch" stuff, primed and painted the pieces.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Yes, nearly every new beetle on earth has experienced this problem. It takes many hours of scrubbing to correct! The good thing is your car will be nice and clean when you are done. :)
Nearly all mk4 VWs really. My GTI is fine, but my hubby's Jetta TDI is terrible. He took the soft touch coating off of the door handles using Purple Power or Simple Green (don't remember which) and a scotch brite pad. Just be careful not to scrub it off too much or you'll go through the paint as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts