VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so for years when I first start my car the brakes would be stiff, but after running the engine a bit the stiffness would go away.

For the last few days I've done a valve cover gasket replace replacement and spark plug change. Okay I know these two things probably don't effect the brakes, but in order to get to all that I had to take off the vacuum reservoir and all those dang hoses on the AWV engine.

So after putting everything back (oh lord I hope it's all back) I started the car and wow does it idle rough. So I press on the brakes and they are stiff again, but don't get any better this time. Vacuum problem maybe? So I check all the hoses, then check the forums and some people talk about a cracked brake booster hose and how to do a temp fix with electrical tape until new part comes in. Okay so I check that out and this is what I find (see pics).

Is this indeed the brake booster hose?

So I start the car and the brake is still stiff and now every time I press the brake pedal a few times I hear an electrical whirring for a few seconds. Pump the brakes again a few times and another whirring noise.

Could use any wisdom out there :)

Moon

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
That is the brake booster vacuum line. And if that fails, and/or the check valve fails (that's the part that actually enters the booster unit) That can play havoc with your power brakes.

Not sure about the noise? If you have to hit the brakes 'hard' to get the car to stop, maybe it's in some way triggering the antilock brake system and that's making the noise? I'm really not sure on that one. Only way to know for sure is to have someone run the brakes with someone else pin pointing the source of the sounds.

S-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so I checked the check valve coming off the air filter housing and it only blew one way.

Went to check this one:

It would blow one way, but when I checked the other way I felt an air leak coming out of the hose as marked with the arrow. I didn't see any cracks in the hose, but the valve looks pretty bad.

Do you think I should get a new valve, or maybe try some silicone gasket sealer around that area?

If you think I should get a new check valve - any idea of part #?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Unsure at this end. 2.0's I'm getting a better understanding of. The 1.8 Turbo? A lot of check valves and air hose plumbing. Might want to hang loose and see if anyone with a 1.8 turbo can lend a further hand. Just being honest. Brake systems I'm fairly good with, but I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction.

S-

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
OK so I checked the check valve coming off the air filter housing and it only blew one way.

Went to check this one:

It would blow one way, but when I checked the other way I felt an air leak coming out of the hose as marked with the arrow. I didn't see any cracks in the hose, but the valve looks pretty bad.

Do you think I should get a new valve, or maybe try some silicone gasket sealer around that area?

If you think I should get a new check valve - any idea of part #?
You found the problem it's only suppose to pass air one way and totally restrict the other way. patch It up with jb weld while you wait for your part($7) to arrive off the internet cause if you go buy that at the dealer you'll be shafted for $50. try secarparts.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I patched it up so it would only blow one way... plugged everything back up and now I'm getting misfires on 3 cylinders!

I just went in last week for the coil pack recall and I think all the coil packs replaced (double checking that with stealership!)

But even after this fix I still have stiff brakes...

This is maddening!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
check valves

Not to insult ya but double check the check valves for proper direction. It's been known me included for folks to mount those backwards before. hope this pix helps you out.
You might still have other vacuum leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey esse10 thanks for the reply. I took pictures of everything before I unplugged so I would get it right when putting it back together.

Here's a pic showing the check valve in question, but I don't think this one has anything to do with the brakes.

also you have a second check valve in your pic going off to the right... is that the one going to the brake booster hose? I've traced my brake booster hose (at least I think this is the one) and taped up some cracks, but I can't find a check valve anywhere in that hose.

I have a 1.8t AWV engine... maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tape

electrical tape does not hold for S*&*^* when it comes to vacuum or pressure air you need to fix that part correct or try jb weld. I have heard of folks having to just replace that whole piece of tubing from the Dealer parts. I don't know why you have different check valves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yeah I'll order new part for sure... I don't know why there's no check valve in it...weird

I've been searching all over and can't find a part number.... so dang frustrating

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I found the part and it's over 100 bucks!!! :confused:

Anyone know of a low cost alternative? :D

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
What is the VW part #? You might be able to have something made; at a hydraulic hose shop, you never know! Take your old hose down there and see what they can do! :) I had a clutch hose made; it was over $100 at the dealer; they made it for me for only $35 and it was steel braided line (the stock one; was rubber!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whirring Noise

The whirring noise that you are hearing is the vacuum pump activating to try to give you some vacuum assist on the brakes. The pump is located underneath the drivers floorboard at about the firewall beneath the brake booster. You have to jack the car pretty high and use jack stands to get to it. You'll probably find that the same vacuum line that broke loose from the brake booster also broke loose from the pump. I replaced all of mine with good quality fuel line hose and clamps. Ten Bucks instead of a hundred. I'd replace the the brake booster valve and check valve as well. If you aren't getting code P1297 yet, you'll probably be getting it soon enough with the vacuum lines crumbling. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts