NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was just wondering how many of you have had parts stolen or attempted to be stolen off of your car? the first week i got Red someone tried to steal my antenna (it's not even the cool stubby one!). they goofed it and instead cracked the base :( about 3 months later someone tried to steal my driver side headlight lens or something along those lines. i walked out to find Red's eye all popped out :( unfortunately they broke the little latch part and i had to glue it back on :( about a week after that someone tried to steal my license plate bracket (it's the one that come with the car - simple black rectangle that you screw your license plate to.) recently someone tried to steal my third brake light (the one that's over the trunk). they too goofed it and ended up breaking the left side so now it doesn't sit properly :( this is so frustrating! i know vw parts are expensive but come on!!!!

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
That is weird! Could it be the same person all the time?
I know that the headlights are notorious for falling out because the 'goop' that holds them in gets liquidy after a while and the light falls off. That might be what happened there. ??

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I doubt anyone would try steal the headlight and the third brake light. These items are known for breaking and popping out. They are both held in by clips/screws/latches that are only accessible from the inside. Unless you are leaving your car unlocked, no one would be able to just take them.

The antenna - yep people try to steal them. They don't want the base - just the fubu. Not sure why but are the same fubu that is on a Porsche and a BMW.

Same is true for the license plate bracket.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I got my steering wheel airbag stolen. As it is a New Beetle specific part I'm pretty sure it was an on-demand job for another NB owner.

I whish they just smashed the window and removed the airbag with proper tools, but unfortunately they did a lot more damage. First they tried to brake the driver side lock. It broke, but the door didn't unlock. The door however got a dent and crack in the paint. Then they moved on to the passanger side and caused the same damage. Once inside, they broke off parts of the soft plastic on the rear of the steering wheel. And finally they took the airbag. And about 0.50 USD in parking money. The RayBan sunglasses in the overhead holder were in place though. Probably the thief didn't know the NB very well.

Total repairs: new lock cylinders, both doors dent removed and repainted, new steering wheel and new airbag. And then the workshop managed to scratch the rear fender so they had to repaint that part as well. Grand total about 1700 USD. Thank god I have full insurance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and as for moving...it was the lens and the license plate bracket that were at the same location. that's just san antonio for you. bunch of savages in this town...

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
When I was in High School, my Economics teachers drove a cream convertible, and she said someone ripped off her turbo sign in the back.

·
I miss my TS
211 Posts
The antenna - yep people try to steal them. They don't want the base - just the fubu. Not sure why but are the same fubu that is on a Porsche and a BMW.
They stole my girlfriends Fuba antenna's twiceon her Golf! Both were the little stubby silver ones.
First time they just took the antenna, so I gave her one I had. That one got stolen they tried to rip the whole mast off,and pretty much ripped everything out of the base. The actual screw that the antenna screws into was gone.
I had to replace the antenna and the mast!.

·
Super Splat Inc.
71 Posts
Someone stole my antenna 3 times in a row. Lucky for me there was no damage. They obviously knew what they were doing because they just unscrewed them every single time =/ now i got one of those fancy in-car antenna's, and my doors are ALWAYS locked

·
Rebecca
41 Posts
Oh it was horrible, my beetle had headlights, fog lights, grill and some other stuff taken from it while it was parked at the train station. Cameras showed people walking by while two cars parked around my car for two hours taking parts from it and no one even bothered to question what was going on. I was so angry! I had to file a comprehensive claim and cost $1,500 for repair/replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so i was just wondering how many of you have had parts stolen or attempted to be stolen off of your car? the first week i got Red someone tried to steal my antenna (it's not even the cool stubby one!). they goofed it and instead cracked the base :( about 3 months later someone tried to steal my driver side headlight lens or something along those lines. i walked out to find Red's eye all popped out :( unfortunately they broke the little latch part and i had to glue it back on :( about a week after that someone tried to steal my license plate bracket (it's the one that come with the car - simple black rectangle that you screw your license plate to.) recently someone tried to steal my third brake light (the one that's over the trunk). they too goofed it and ended up breaking the left side so now it doesn't sit properly :( this is so frustrating! i know vw parts are expensive but come on!!!!
What Year is your car? I am about to buy a 2019 Beetle convertible. My neiborhood is so-so, but am afraid that the car may be to attractive to thieves for certain parts, such the halogen lights, People used to steal mirrors, now thieves would break the windows to steal the airbags, so double the expense when trying to fix it. =(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts