VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i need some help figuring this out. my wife was driving the car(2001 VW Beetle 2.0, manual transmission) to work on the freeway and the engine begun to chug and loose power, she pulled over and said it was still running but shaking, she then turned it off and attempted to restart it. all it did was crank the engine and wouldnt start.
towed it home and put the code reader on it and got the following codes:

P0171
P1128
P0139

i checked fuses, hoses, connectors, etc. still wont start.

Ive been doing some research and found for the most part those codes are somewhat the result of the MAF, MAF sensor's, O2 sensors, Cat, and the fuel pressure. but there all very vague and I dont want to put allot of cash into this car, just paid it off last week. figures!

please help....thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Sounds like it could be a large vacuum leak. Common spot is a split in the hose to the brake booster. Check all the hoses that are shown in the vacuum diagram on the label under the hood.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
I would start with the basics: fuel, ignition, timing/belt/marks, etc.

Just to make sure; the timing belt is ok and didn't jump time. Pull off the timing belt cover and inspect the timing belt for damage. Then, check and make sure the timing marks are correct:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...nt_information/service_and_repair/procedures/

If the belt is damaged and/or the timing marks are off; you may have bent valves in the head, no compression. At that point you would need to decide what to do; you could correct the timing marks, install a new timing belt and check for compression. A compression or leak down test; would be in order. If there is no compression; the head needs to come off and be repaired or replaced.

service manual compression test and specs:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...sion_check/system_information/specifications/

Are you getting spark? You could pull a plug and connect it the plug wire, ground it out while turn over the engine. There should be spark; at the electrode. No spark? You might try more advanced testing.

Ignition coil testing:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AVH) (2001) > Powertrain Management > Ignition System > Ignition Coil > Component Information > Testing and Inspection > With Generic Scan Tool

If the spark is good; you could move on to the fuel system:

You might pull up the back seat and remove the fuel pump cover, put your hand on it and you should be able to feel it turn on, pump. Here is the service manual; for the fuel pump testing procedures: at this point, you need a fuel pressure tester gauge and see if the pressure, is within factory specs.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AVH) (2001) > Maintenance > Tune-up and Engine Performance Checks > Fuel Pressure > System Information > Specifications > Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature Specifications

·
5/23/10 <3
11,608 Posts
It should only prime with door after its been sitting for awhile, like overnight. And that alone shouldn't keep the car from starting, IMO. I had a bad microswitch in my drivers door in both my Beetle and my GTI and a bad switch will make it so the pump doesn't get primed with the door opening. Never had any issues starting the car.

Now, if it doesn't prime when the key is in the ignition, then you have a problem and it could be something like the fuel pump relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.