VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me this morning, to notify of an issue that began this morning of a number of issues. 2004 Beetle Convertible.

The driver side window will not go up or down. The driver side switch (other than all-up or down switch - does work), does not work for any individual window. The driver side lock switch, does not work. Nor does the driver side door lock, with the key fob.

What does work is all 3 other windows, up & down with the "all" control switch on the driver side door. Key fob locks and unlocks passenger side door & activates alarm. Passenger side door operates window & lock feature fine. However, only locking passenger side door. The only way to lock the driver side door, is by inserting the key into the door and turning to lock.

Any ideas? This Beetle is becoming quite an aggravation and we've only owned it 1 year! I just ordered a new passenger door lock actuator on Sunday, as the passenger window no longer drops down to open & close the door. Thanks for your assistance & input!

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Sounds like a failed lock actuator assembly in the driver's door.

Frustrating aren't they? Going through the same BS with ours, only 10 times worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a failed lock actuator assembly in the driver's door.

Frustrating aren't they? Going through the same BS with ours, only 10 times worse.
Thanks for the response! I just replaced the passenger side, today, and it cured the window drop-down issue! So do all these things, operate through the door actuator/lock? The drivers window, drivers single window switches, drivers lock switch and drivers lock, all stopped working on Tuesday. I'm about to purchase a new drivers door latch.

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
I wish I knew more about the system. As I learn on ours (if I learn on ours) I'll post info here.

It appears that there's quite a bit of communication that needs to happen, between the door lock actuators, the power window motor "computers", and the comfort control module. It appears the power window motor computers are a huge deal in this communication.

When ours showed up, the power locks didn't work, the alarm system didn't work, the key fob didn't work, the power mirrors didn't work, the trunk didn't open, none of the interior lights worked, and the pass. window and sunroof didn't open and close with the key. Someone had been butchering their way around, trying to fix it all, so I've got a real mess on my hands. It's been a real joke to work on, because basically, it needs both window motors, both door lock actuators, the comfort control module, and the door wiring harness. That's a nice chunk of change. I put a used driver's door harness, and CCM in it, and have tried 2 different used lock actuators and power window motors. All I've restored is some interior light functions, and trunk lock. It's really pissing me off. What an assinine design. Bentley is of zero help, and doesn't even list the diagnostic codes, saying that they are beyond the scope of the manual. So this system is all top secret. I've even had the dealer take a look at it, and they through up their hands and just want to start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I knew more about the system. As I learn on ours (if I learn on ours) I'll post info here.

It appears that there's quite a bit of communication that needs to happen, between the door lock actuators, the power window motor "computers", and the comfort control module. It appears the power window motor computers are a huge deal in this communication.

When ours showed up, the power locks didn't work, the alarm system didn't work, the key fob didn't work, the power mirrors didn't work, the trunk didn't open, none of the interior lights worked, and the pass. window and sunroof didn't open and close with the key. Someone had been butchering their way around, trying to fix it all, so I've got a real mess on my hands. It's been a real joke to work on, because basically, it needs both window motors, both door lock actuators, the comfort control module, and the door wiring harness. That's a nice chunk of change. I put a used driver's door harness, and CCM in it, and have tried 2 different used lock actuators and power window motors. All I've restored is some interior light functions, and trunk lock. It's really pissing me off. What an assinine design. Bentley is of zero help, and doesn't even list the diagnostic codes, saying that they are beyond the scope of the manual. So this system is all top secret. I've even had the dealer take a look at it, and they through up their hands and just want to start throwing parts at it.

Oh, man. Sounds like a mess..... =/

Well, I've ordered a drivers side and crossing my fingers, that it resolves the issue that arose on Tuesday. I'm somewhat optimistic, this will resolve the issue. On side note: I also noticed yesterday, since the problem that began with the drivers side on Tuesday, the convertible top will not go down. I assume, that may be some precautionary measure, because the drivers window will not role down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old but for anyone with the same problem, if you don't want to actually replace the lock failed switch mechanism but you still need your window to roll up and down, I found out that removing the power from the motor with the wiring harness plug and plugging it back in the switch on the door panel will roll the window up and down for about 5 minutes and then it stops working again so my fix for this instead of replacing everything was to wire a $2 toggle switch into the power wire the plugs into the window motor. So when I get into the car and I want to roll the window down I just flip the toggle switch off and right back on and I can roll the window down just like normal with the switch on the door panel and then whenever I'm done driving the car if I need to roll the window back up I just flip the toggle switch off and right back on and then I can use the switch to roll the window up just like normal and then I just lock the door with the actual key in the door handle and then use the fob to lock the rest of the car and arm the car alarm like normal. It's not a complete fix but it has been needing to be fixed 4 a few years and my toggle switch still works just fine and I just have not replaced the door lock mechanism I can lock it with the key since I have to have the key to drive the car anyway, using the key to lock the driver's door isn't that difficult.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great Idea with the toggle switch! I had my 03 convertible top not going down due to the passenger window sensing a bind. I took off the door panel unplugged the the motor then it allowed me to roll down the window. The toggle switch would be a great fix in this instance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all-

I have a 2004 Beetle and I heard a electrical sizzle sound in my driver door and then shortly after my windows and locks on that door only- stopped working. Sounds like what most of you described- window won’t go up/down. Door locks don’t work on door or fob. However the truck and gas tank still work.

So what is the exact parts I need to replace it all- I love the idea of the toggle but I think it would drive me nuts.

thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
You will need to remove the door panel and see, what parts need replaced. Most electrical issues will throw a vw factory trouble code; you would need a vw scan tool, like vcds to read those. You might check the wiring harness; that goes from the body to the door, many times, the wires will break and kill power to the door.

Here is a door disassembly diy; that should help: Window Regulator and Door Lock DIY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts