NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first winter with my bug. I live in upstate NY so I want to take it off the road for the winter. My insurance agent says she "thinks" it's cheaper to turn in my plates. I am wondering if it is really worth doing this---as then in the spring I'd have to get new plates again and prob. get a new registration, inspection, etc. Anyone out there with advice would be so much appreciated.
Thanks-----CINDY

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Turn in your plates? WTF?

What do you drive during the winter? And for how long. Simply take the vehicle off the policy or if it is an only vehicle, cancel the policy. You shouldn't be penalized for being uninsured for less than six months. Or instead, consider raising your deductibles way up on an annual basis, and just maintain the policy year round at the reduced cost, or deleted the collison part of it, and use the savings to carry the winter premiums. I don't carry collison on anything once it's paid off, and prior to that I caryy $1000 deductible. And what I have saved over 40 years would more than pay for a new vehicle. If it's financed you have no choice but to carry insurance.

MORAV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TO......Myotherridesavette

......I drive a SUV in the winter. My bug is pd. for---I can just keep Collision on it in case anything happens to it while in storage (ex. fire, theft). Should I also turn in the plates? What is the cheapest and easiest way to do this?
Thanks again--CINDY

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Again, I don't understand why you are wanting to turn in the plates. Does the State charge you for usage if the vehicle is registered? And Collision won't protect the car while it's stored, that would be your Comprehensive. You might also check with your Home Owners Ins carrier, the car may be covered under that policy while stored.

M

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
I wouldn't turn in the plates. That's just silly and it'll cost you more in the long run. I just transferred my final edition NB and my Bullitt mustang to my collector policy as both cars are used for shows and such and was blown away by the savings.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Its silly to turn in your plates. Drop down to liability only or something when you aren't driving it if need be.

Also, MORAV, state to state differs on insurance stuff. I know here in NC, if you have tags on a vehicle, it has to be insured. If its not, you will be fined. And you aren't clear through the DMV if you drop insurance on a car until you turn in your plates. NY I'm sure is different as well. They are much bigger sticklers here about insurance than they were in MD as far as I remember. But even though my car was totaled, my parents had to keep liability on the car while the plates were on. Taking them back today though so they can drop insurance on it.

Not sure on the costs in NY, but its a decent chunk here in NC to register a car. But really, figure it up yourself if you are thinking of turning in the plates. How much for new registration, etc? How much for insurance for those few months? Personally, I'd keep the plates on and a low level of insurance on it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, I understand registartion regs vary widely from state to state, and if the state computers and the insurance computers are tied together to "force" people to maintain insurance, on one hand that's a good thing, on the other hand it seems "all about the money" (as in this case) and that's a bad thing. With the state required minimum liability amounts it's somewhat of a joke anyway. We all know how insurance companies lobby the legislaturers.

So, if I understand from what your saying, when I'm in your state, if a vehicle displays a current NC registration, I can rest assured the driver has insurance? I think not.

If people were insured (liability) to drive cars (as it should be) instead of cars being insured for someone to drive (as it is -a perfect example of it being all about the money, after all, how many cars can you drive at any given moment?), it would so simplify it for BMVs and DMVs. Simply tie an insurance cert and the maintaining of such, to a person's DL. This would make for far more driver's driving around being insured. Of course then insurance companies wouldn't be the mega powerful entities they are.

When I go renew my tags in Texas, I only have to provide a current safety inspection certificate, when I get the inspection I have to show evidence of the vehicle having current insurance, not during the previous life of the car, and when I renew my tags in Ohio, I simply have to sign a statement that I have current insurance, no proof required.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
They need proof here, and as part of your minimum coverage, you get uninsured motorist. Tags are stolen and used on vehicles without a registration. But to get a registration, you need proof of insurance. They at least need the policy number. Just went through this a few weeks ago with the GTI. And from what I understand they do talk to the insurance company computers. We switched insurance companies recently so it was a huge deal as to how and when to cancel the original coverage on the cars so that the new company would pick it up. We had our new cards, but we didn't feel like dealing with potential fines if the DMV didn't pick up our new insurance before we cancelled the other policy. To renew, you don't need anything for insurance, you just have to be inspected prior to renewal (which is both safety and emissions here [emissions for '96+ vehicles fueled by gas only]).

I have to say, I'm happy that its tied to the car. When I was hit, the girl driving was uninsured but the car was insured via her parents. This meant that their insurance covered everything and I didn't have to go through an uninsured motorist claim on my own insurance (I should say my parents insurance, but I am listed as covered on their policy) and I didn't have to lose my deductible potentially. But I understand where you are coming from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts