NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just bought my first beetle, a 2000 GLS, and I love it. However, I have a a strange AC problem. At idle, I'll turn AC on and it just blows hot air. However, when I bring rpm's up over 2000 or so, the AC blows Ice-Cold air. and again, when it drops down to idle 900 rpms(approx) the AC will start to blow warm air again. Anyone have any idea of what the problem is? I did notice when I tried holding rpm's at around2500 rpms (contant and when parked), the engine would drop down to around 2000 rpm's and then come back up. Could there be a switch on compressor that causes this and causes only warm air to blow at idle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i didn't. and it didn't need a recharge. I had just noticed the problem yesterday so I didn't really get that deep into it. just thought it was very strange that it would blow hot air at idle and ice-cold air at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a/c problem

hi there i have a 2000 gls and mine is doing exactly the same thing. and i know it has the right amount of r 134 in it i even went as far as replacing the expanson valve. and still no a/c at idle. have you checked the a/c fan mine was messed up and i replaced mine with one i had laying around. but the one i had only had 2 wires and the vw fan has 3 dont know if thats the problem with mine or not. but i checked a web site for parts and there is some kind of coolant temp sensor it has 2 wires and it says on the web site its a a/c cut off switch but i havent been able to locate it on my bug. if you find out whats wrong please post up with the answer thanks

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the A/C cutoff sensor will shut the A/C off if the water temp gets to hot. Are your NB's running hotter than normal or is the sensor bad?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, sorry I haven't got back on this. (had an incident with an abcess tooth and a corner of a desk. ouch! Doctor has me on vvvvvicoden...Anyway, I'm going to check the fan thing out when my pain subsides. my father(who has been a loyal owner of volkswagen and audi for 25 years) suggested to me to look for a air intake or filter...i'm not exactly sure lol (the vicoden had already taken hold). He also mentioned that his jetta had kind of the same problem and that there was some kind of intake or filter under the right side of the dash..recirc unit? Said something about air passing over evaporator unit....but I'll know and understand more when both the vicoden and the pain are gone and i'll post solution if i figure it out. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the compressor turning at idle and at higher rpm?

If compressor is spinning (not just the pulley) and it continues to spin when you slow to idle and then back to 2000 rpm or over, I don't think it is the compressor.

Does the fan kick on and run when the a/c clutch is engaged?

If it is I would think about checking to see if air mix door that moves to admit either warm or cool air is actuating properly - seems like a vacuum leak can cause these to move into the wrong position ...

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
did you get it fixed yet ?? if not give me a call and i'll tell you what i was told to check 903-701-6070 ask for jason
Why not post that here?

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I just posted the same problem and it turns out my system was overcharged.

When you stop heat builds up on the high line increasing the pressure of the coolant just enough to engage the clutch switch to turn the clutch off, when you speed up more air pulls over the engine, more coolant etc, pressure subsides and air turns on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got the answer to the ac problem

hopefully this will work for all of u with this problem.when i first got my 200 gls it had a couple things wrong with it in cluding: low rpms, dim lights, no cruise control,the same ac problem and it only got 10.2 mpg....no joke! i nknew it neede a new battery so i went and got one and whenever i put it in all the problems went away including the ac problem.so go buy a new battery and let me know if that helped at all.

ps.now i get about 25-30mpg in town

1 - 15 of 15 Posts