VW Beetle Forum banner

Strange electrical problem, windows,hatch, gas release

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  P930man 
#1 ·
Hello Folks, I have a 2003 Beadle with issues. This is a new car to me, so I don't know the history. My father in law bought this car cheap. It has 135 K Miles on the clock. Anyway, I did the general maintenance. I went ahead and changed the timing belt, water pump, etc. Rear window was broken out, faded head lghts the usual stuff with a 17 year old car. have her running great except, for the windows, hatch and fuel lid will not work. The previous owner had the driver side window panel removed and totally trashed. they had cut the wires to the window switch. most of the switches had the tops pulled off and were non functional. I butt connected the window wires and using my test light I checked the power to the switches, most had power. Tested all the fuses in the fuse box, many dead holes, ie no power to either side of the fuse, mainly in the top section with the smaller sized fuses, in the bottom section I found 1 blown fuse, replaced, checked the 2 fuses under neath the steering column, 15 amp was bad, replaced. By using my test light I was able to activate the hatch and the fuel lid, and the windows worked. Wow! not so fast, I drove her around a bit, great everything working. I had a cel, secondary air injection pump, pump not working. No power to the plug, I have power to the socket of the the relay, jumper-ed across and the air pump works. Ordered new relay. Now the windows and trunk and gas lid don't work. Still getting power to most of them, but they don't work. damn pulled the lower dash panel off and re plugged all the relays. Didn't help. Pulled the battery and checked the body ground below the battery. I think it's a relay, not grounding my switches, just guessing. I s there a main relay that might control the switch grounding. I have no diagrams, on the fuses or relays. I do have the card board POS diagram from the fuse box, no idea how to read that cryptic fuse descriptions. Please help! I have exhausted all my sorry ideas. Thanks Folks, Screwed in Texas.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try this for the fuses.

codes as follow.

F1(10A) Heated wind screen washer jets, heated door mirrors, glove box lamp
F2(10A) Indicators, head lamp adjustment (gas discharge head lamps)
F3(5A) Fog lamp relay, lights
F4(5A) Licence plate lamps
F5(7,5A) Air-conditioning (AC),heated seats, cruise control, convenience equipment, engine coolant blower motor control module, parking aid, multifunction steering wheel
F6(5A) Central locking
F7(10A) Reversing lamps
F8(5A)Telephone
F9(5A) Electronic stability programme (ESP), Haldex coupling (2001^), anti-lock brake system (ABS)
F10(5A/10A/15AEnginemanagement
F11(5A) Instrument panel, AT selector lever lock
F12(7,5A) Data link connector (DLC), telephone(^04/99)
F13(10A) Stop lamps
F14(5A/10A) Interior lamps, central locking
F15(5A) ESP (05/99^), instrument panel, automatic transmission (AT)
F16(10A) AC compressor clutch, engine coolant pump motor, engine coolant blower motor control module
F17(7,5A) Door lock barrel heater (^04/99)
F18(10A) RH headlamp- high beam
F19(10A) LH headlamp-high beam
F20(10A/15A)RH headlamp-low beam, head lamp adjustment
F21(10A/15A) LH headlamp-low beam, headlamp adjustment
F22(5A) RH side/tail lamps
F23(5A) LH side/tail lamps
F24(20A) Wind screen wash/wipe system
F25(25A) AC/heater blower motor, air conditioning (AC)
F26(20A/25A) Heated rear window
F27(10A/15A) Rear screen wiper
F28(15A) Fuel pump
F29(10A/15A) Engine management
F30(20A) Sunroof
F31(20A) Brake assist (05/99^), automatic transmission (AT)
F32(10A/15A) Engine management
F33(20A) Headlamp washers
F34(10A) Engine management
F35(30A) Trailer socket
F36(15A) Front fog lamps, rear fog lamps
F37(10A) Audio unit, convenience equipment, navigation system (05/99^), S-contact
F38(15A) Boot lid/tail gate lamp, central locking, convenience equipment, remote fuel flap/boot lid/tailgate release
F39(15A) Hazard warning lamps
F40(20A) Horn
F41(15A) Cigarette lighter
F42(25A) Audio unit, audio unit output amplifier, navigation system
F43(10A) Engine management
F44(15A) Heated seats
/

Try jumping the fuel and hatch switch they may just be bad.

Look in the bundle of wires between the door and car frame, the wires can break after the door has opened and closed countless times. Those wires can affect the windows and the switches to the hatch and fuel,door.
Games Furniture Machine

#3 ·
:eek::eek::eek:Thanks Jar Head, This is the best location and purpose schematic, that I have seen. Gives me a much better idea on what is what. lol Some of these fuses were dead holes, no power on either side of the fuse. Possible even though there are fuses, maybe that aren't suppose to be live and someone had stuck fuses in anyway. This should help in telling which if some of these dead holes are suppose to be dead. I was using my test light to trigger the points on the switches and got them to work. Now, I have power going to all the switches except one, testing via my test light. the dead one is either the trunk or gas lid? Anyway the live ones should work when I shunt across the switch or push the contacts. The door lock works but the windows trunk and gas lid do not work. Remember, I had everything working. Damn Gremlins. lol Now, I'm no electrical Guru, but is there possibly a relay that energies a ground that completes the circuit??? This is obviously some kind of intermittent problem. Thanks my friend, I have more information than I had. Sense I have power to the switches it seems unlikely that the wires are broken in the door jam? Right?

#4 ·
Jar Head, Marine ??? Thanks for your service! Using your fuse diagram, I rechecked the fuses, some of my dead holes were not dead, such as high beams, the light switch and toggle and they became live. I have everything working but the fuel lid release. Kinda critical. Lol I'm ordering new switches. Hope this problem doesn't come back. Thanks for your help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.