VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Beetle that recently started spewing a cloud of steam at a traffic light. After getting it home on a trailer and examining it, there is a hole blasted through the cooling flange as if it were melted and blasted through with a stream of hot plasma.

When I first noticed the cooling flange was the culprit, I assumed it had cracked or the O-ring had failed, but I was shocked when I saw how it has been somehow compromised. I've never seen anything like it before.

There does seem to be some fine sand in the coolant lines so I'm going to flush the system and replace the coolant, but I am not sure where the grit could have come from or how it could have done this damage.

Any ideas how this happened so that I can maybe prevent it from happening again?? Knowing full well that this car is twenty years old and if it took 20 years to do this then I'm probably good for another 20.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
These leak often and as you suggested its usually the O ring or gasket. I've not seen one that has failed like yours but I'm not surprised, replace it and motor on. As far as the grit I think your'e on the right track with a full flush and then replace with OEM VW G13. Grit could be a result of someone mixing the coolant years ago.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts