NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently having a bad headlight problem on my driver's side. I have gone through 3 bulbs in the last month.

Here is what I have noticed and have done.

First bulb went out, didn't think anything of it since it last a whole 6 months.

2nd buld. A day before it finally went, when I would first start the car and turn on the lights it would be very dim, but the other side was bright as normal. I would pound and wiggle the headlight around hoping to find a loose connection but it would stay dim. After just a few minutes of driving it would be full brightness again. It did this 2 or 3 times in a row then it burnt out. But it did not burn out when I switched on the lights, but as I was driving.

Last night the 3rd bulb burned out. It did not ever get dim on me, but it did burn out while the lights were already on again. Don't bulbs usually go bad when you turn them on?

I have checked all connections at the connector at the headlight and at the individual terminals at the bulb by hooking my DMM at them and moving all of the wires around a bunch. There is no change in the voltage when I do this. I do know that with the car off I am only getting 11 or so volts at the bulb do to the wire resistance. I will check the voltage while running todat.

My other questions are does anyone know where the ground for that side ends up? Is it tied into the passenger side somewhere? I am thinking of just running a new ground wire in through the little vent hose on the back of the headlamp and connecting it directly to the bulb to see if that helps.

Also, no abnormal dimming or burning out of the passenger side.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I'm probably not going to be much help telling you this, but I think you are not supposed to touch the bulb when removing it from its packaging or installing it. (Something about getting the oils from your fingers on it.) I bet you knew this and it's not your problem. Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, actually I was just going to edit the post and add that because I was sure someone would point that out. But thanks for the idea because I really am stumped here!

I am aware of that and am always very careful to pull th e bulb out of the package by the base and never touch. When the 2nd on blew I thought maybe I had somehow touched it so I cleaned the 3rd one off with alchohol real well to make sure it was clean. I know that one didn't have anything on it.

Why couldn't this be the passenger side? I hate taking out that driver's side! Three times in one month tend to irritate a person.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anyone who at least knows where the headlights are grounded?

Also, I have read of a main grounding point being somewhere up around the drivers front wheel, maybe under the fender. Anyone know where that would be?

I am thinking of running a separate ground wire tonight to either fix my problem or rule out the bad ground scenario.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure that the headlight problem is fixed.

Upon putting another bulb I decided to have another good looksy since I have to remove quite a bit to get to it and don't really feel like doing it again next week.

I found that the ground wire inside the headlamp assembly was pulled so tight from the connector to the low beam bulb that the wire was flexed at a pretty severe angle. If flexed at all it opened up I would loose continuity.

So I have since fixed the wire inside there, replaced the bulb and am keeping my fingers crossed that that's all it was.

:) :) :)

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
The bulbs are stronger than they lead you to believe. I dont see a little oil from my fingers killing the bulb after I had the lens cover fall off and did not have a chance to get a new one for a month. So I was running with exposed bulbs driving through rain and bugs and carwashes and the bulbs are still working even after 6 months. Or maybe I just got really lucky.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
NBTurboFreak said:
The bulbs are stronger than they lead you to believe. I dont see a little oil from my fingers killing the bulb after I had the lens cover fall off and did not have a chance to get a new one for a month. So I was running with exposed bulbs driving through rain and bugs and carwashes and the bulbs are still working even after 6 months. Or maybe I just got really lucky.
Hey I lost a lens cover too! Do you mean the clear plastic lens? Any idea why yours came off? I had previously opened up mine to do the black out paint mod in there. After I did that it stayed on for a year and a half but then fell off.

Were you somehow able to get just a new lens? How/where?
Please let me know about your situation.

Thanks

jbehm - hope ya got it worked out.;)

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have had 3 total fall off so far. It is the clear lense part only that falls off. The headlight is 2 parts, the clense cover and the main headlight housing. What happens is the glue (the gray paste) gets plyable and because the outter seal is formed by the pressure of the headlight being seated causes the lesne to seperate from its bracket and fall off. For the headlight you have 3 options to buy. The lense and bracket from the dealership (about $120ish i think); a complete OEM headlight ($240-250ish); or the BOUSCH OEM headlight replacement ($350ish).
My roommate is a VW tech and he has seen sevral others that have fallen off too but VW has yet to issue a recall or address the problem but just so happen that the dealership had a larger than normal supply of headlight lenses.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Wow.. and i've noticed my paste-seal is lose on the driver side on the bottom. I'm going to black out the lights and use a stronger epoxy to seal the lense on to prevent this. Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts