VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I own a 2002 GLS 2.0 liter manual transmission Beetle (113K miles). Two weeks ago, I got my oil changed at local garage and they said the thread on the pan was stripped and they could not keep oil in it (no plug possible in pan due to possibility of dislodging). New VW aluminum pan was installed, but it was faulty and leaking oil. No sound occurred after replacement pan # 1 installed. Second pan installed. Ever since then, vague noise is heard somewhere in front of car, in or underneath engine. It occurs at random times, only when driving and it doesn't happen at any particular time. Seems to be related to some type of rotation, as the sound indicates that (it's hard to describe). Sounds like a whirring/vibration that randomly starts and stops after different amounts of time - totally unpredictable. Not too loud. I took it back to mechanic, who said there was some type of sensor loose under car, and they reconnected that. However, the noise is still occurring. I have a brief video of the noise, but cannot upload it here (could send it to private email).
Does anyone have any clue what the noise could be? I was told that I will need a flex pipe/catalytic converter in the next few months, but I doubt this is related. I am getting concerned since I drive long distances. I can send you the sound video if necessary.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Upload the video to youtube; that is the easiest way to share videos to the public. Did they happen to install a "hybrid" oil pan? These are part steel on the bottom and aluminum on top; if they did, some require the use of a smaller oil pickup tube. Maybe, the crank or rods are making contact with the pickup tube or oil pan? Otherwise, they may have installed something wrong, something is in the way, rubbing on another part or they got the wrong or defective part to begin with? Did they put the part number anywhere; on your repair order/receipt? You might take a photo; of your oil pan and maybe we can see if it looks like the wrong one? Thanks.

Looking online; I am seeing a couple of part numbers, that might be right:

038103601NA (without: oil level sensor)

038103603M (with: oil level sensor)

You can lookup parts here: http://parts.vw.com/

If there is physical contact with the new pan; when it is removed, it should be pretty obvious with marks or metal shavings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Belated thanks

I am really sorry that I did not respond to your reply initially. I found out later that the noise was a loose heat shield. The mechanic seemed to have done something when the new oil pan was installed that caused the issue with the shield. It still makes noise periodically but not a huge deal. Now there is an issue with the flex pipe but that is another issue...Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts