NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

my first post on the new forum, sadly not a happy one... since last week my wife's NB ( 1999 TDI ) started stuttering in neutral. Acceleration is less than normal, allthough not terrible. The car went to the dealership, they adjusted the injection pump bad to no avail... on the way home, car ran fine..but once I ( she drove it home ) took it for a test drive, it was bucking and stuttering all over. the dealership suspects the ECU and are trying to get a new ECU to try if that's the problem...

Just now I drove the car into the garage and when I turned off the engine I noticed a "slurping/gulping" sound, 2 sec after the engine stops... started, shup down again...and yes...gulp. As if the engine is sucking in air :dunno:

I did a search on the old forum,and found that the Needle lift sensor could be the culprit...I sent an e-mail to the dealership asking if they checked it...

Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The studder could be one of several things, depending on the mileage you have on your car. It could be a relay 109. If yours is the old type, it should be changed. Also, your intake manifold could be clogged to the point that it restricts airflow and therefore causes the studder. I would look into these things first.

Finally, the "slurping/gulping" sound you hear after you shut down is the anti-shutter valve and it is a normal sound, you just probably have never noticed it before. It's role is to cut off the air supply to the engine, therefore allowing the engine to shut down. The slurping sound you hear is the valve reopening itself to allow airflow again which will allow your car to start.

I would look into the first 2 possibilities before starting to change ECU's as they are expensive.

Diesel on!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Along the same line of thought. Check the intercooler. It is the low point, and tends to collect oil. Removing the lower hose to the intercooler will allow some of the oil to drain out.
Do you have Vag-Com? If so, check the timing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I checked the inlet manifold... a bit of oil, but no clogging. The timing has just been adjusted to specs by the dealer.

The gulping sound isn't the anti-shudder valve...it sounds as if the engine makes one last stroke, but without fuel ( the fuel cutt-of valve works ) it just "puffs" out the air. So I have to correct myselfs on the "sucking in" air..it's more of a "blowing out" air.

This morning, with the engine cold I tried if the needle sensor-wire would be broken, but the engine ran fine...no stuttering, just the way it's supposed to run. So I'm guessing it will stutter again when it's warm... going for a drive to a different dealership in a minute.

I don't have a vag-com, but with the trouble we had with the cars lately, I will get one for sure...

Thanks for the replies
Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
something else I noticed...the car may be running as normal, in neutral ( standing still ). When I push the car...so, outside the car and juggling it... the engine starts running rough. :confused: :confused: :confused:

While wobbling the car, it runs rough, when I stop wobblin'...it smooths out again. This has to be something mechanical, no ?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Yes, it sure sounds like a vibration related problem.
Try doing the same thing with the motor turned off. With the hood open, listen to any noises that the car might be making. Down low on the passenger side, do you hear a rattle?
One of the sensor plugs might be loose or could be dirty. Try unplugging them to see if there is any dirt/corrosion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it ! :D It was a wire that was broken...location: underneath the battery :rolleyes: That had taken me ages to find out.

The jugling thing made the dealer look at the wiring, and within 3 hours the problem was found and solved. Runs as smooth as a baby's bottom now. and in the mean time theh have closed off the EGR-valve... ( and I guess that's what makes that gurgle-sound on engine-shut-down, my NB ( who had everything intact doens't do this ).

Anyway, problems solved... thanks for the replies, y'all :cool:

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
OscarTango said:
Found it ! :D It was a wire that was broken...location: underneath the battery :rolleyes: That had taken me ages to find out.

The jugling thing made the dealer look at the wiring, and within 3 hours the problem was found and solved. Runs as smooth as a baby's bottom now. and in the mean time theh have closed off the EGR-valve... ( and I guess that's what makes that gurgle-sound on engine-shut-down, my NB ( who had everything intact doens't do this ).

Anyway, problems solved... thanks for the replies, y'all :cool:
The dealer colsed off the EGR? Hard to believe, as it is extremely illegal. Remember, that body has two functional parts, the EGR valve and the anti-shudder valve.
The vacuum line connected to the small black plastic airpot controls the anti-shudder valve, not the EGR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Higly illegal ?... I live in Belgium, not in the US. It might be illegal here, but no-one is going to find out...the CO-measurements will be at an all time low anyway.

The dealer put a seal beteen the inlet of the valve
( so where the exhaustgas enters the valve ) and the valve itself. The valve still works, but no exhaust gas is flowing in..

Anyway, the problem is solved...topic can be closed:cool:

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
OscarTango said:
Higly illegal ?... I live in Belgium, not in the US. It might be illegal here, but no-one is going to find out...the CO-measurements will be at an all time low anyway.

The dealer put a seal beteen the inlet of the valve
( so where the exhaustgas enters the valve ) and the valve itself. The valve still works, but no exhaust gas is flowing in..

Anyway, the problem is solved...topic can be closed:cool:
Sorry, no location listed, so I didn't guess Belgium. ;)

As far as that being the end of it, maybe not exactly. There is no exhaust gas entering the intake, that's true, so the clogging may well stop. However, the ECU knows when it tells the valve to open, and has some idea of the effect that opening has on mixture. So you can count on it adjusting the fueling to account for the now-absent exhaust gasses. Depending on the effect that exhauset has on combustion temps, the ECU may be interpreting the O2 sensor readings incorrectly and furhter altering the fueling away from optimal. YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That all sounds reasonable..I will have a word with the dealer about that when I get back from our vacation in Thailand :D

And I'll change my profile, so I don't have to expect members to be clear-voyant about my location, hahaha...:p

Thanks fot clarifying the EGR-possible-effects, my man...I didn't give it much thought, to be honest. You always read in several forums that you should block it off, because it should increase performance...allthough I didn't really notice anything on that matter.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Well, blocking it fo performance reasons is a new one on me. The reasons I've heard folks give for eliminating EGR is to help prevent intake clogging (caused by oil bypass and soot), a leaking EGR cooler, or just old habits. If you control oil introduced to the intake tract, I don't see how you need to mess witht he EGR. It certainly won't give you more power.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
OscarTango said:
That all sounds reasonable..I will have a word with the dealer about that when I get back from our vacation in Thailand :D

And I'll change my profile, so I don't have to expect members to be clear-voyant about my location, hahaha...:p

Thanks fot clarifying the EGR-possible-effects, my man...I didn't give it much thought, to be honest. You always read in several forums that you should block it off, because it should increase performance...allthough I didn't really notice anything on that matter.
OscarTango, if you add a city, and checkmark the "include me in the map" You'll be included on the worldmap of members:
http://newbeetle.org/apps/member-map/ That way we'd know there's THREE members of our site from Belgium! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I saw that, but I couldn't find the link to the map..thanks.

As far as he performance increase goes, that was confirmed by a guy on th Dutch TDI forum, who mesaured 6 HP gain on an oherwise standard ALH engine... but I don't notice it. I'm going to change the MAF-sensor when we get home for holiday in 2 weeks. I'll keep it updated here..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts