VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang , changed the oil on a bug I just bought. After taking the drain plug out I found this attached to its magnet. Any ideas? Tks Bart

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Man those rice burners are trying to get into everything!
Bart, that does not look like anything I have ever seen in the bottom of a VW motor. My opinion is that it is too big to work its way down from the top of the motor. Maybe someone had the pan off at some point and left it there?
I will be interested to hear how this goes with the rest of the Org.

Good luck!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right ! Yeah at first I thought it was part of the drain plug, when it wiggled I thought that is just stuck to the magnet ! I just did the timing belt and thought , I might as well do an oil change - who knows how long ago it had been done (the timing belt was about 3/8 wide. It was about to grenade)

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is part of a replacement oil drain plug. Used on stripped oil pan threads. Would be a metal plug with rubber gasket thread rod and your picce to anchor in the oil pan, like a toggle bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is part of a replacement oil drain plug. Used on stripped oil pan threads. Would be a metal plug with rubber gasket thread rod and your picce to anchor in the oil pan, like a toggle bolt.
^this (it looked similar to below originally)

·
Registered
758 Posts
And that picture above is why I love this forum.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill be dipped! It's odd though because the current drain plug is an oem as far as I'm aware so I've no idea why this would have been used - but who know what adventures this car had prior to my acquisition. In a similar vein , I noticed my other bug had a drippy drain plug and I bought a new crush washer from VW. When I went to instal it I found the drain plug was larger. I was going to go back to VW to see if it was the wro g washer when I noticed the head of the plug was marked 1/2 T. I got my thread pitch gauge and sure enough if was SAE - 1/2 20 threads ( someone obviously stripped out the threads and tapped it for a replacement plug, after a trip to the HELP! Isle at the local auto parts store, I found a replacement gasket washer for it .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts