VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heys guys, recently purchased a 98 nb, noticed the left strut is higher then the right strut maybe by one inch, this is causing me the pull to right while driving, anyone experienced this and how is it possible, could it be strut mounts or not bolted down correctly? I dont have the tools to check but just noticed this, thanks!

Right
[/IMG]

Left

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The left one is not correct. The pinch bolt should go through a hole in the tab on the strut. This could be a dangerous situation because the strut could pull out of the hub and you would basically be driving on 3 wheels. It definitely would cause handling issues the way it is.

There is a special spreader tool that holds the gap in the knuckle apart so that the strut can be inserted. The bolt is a torque-to-yield type which means it will have to be replaced once it is loosened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The left one is not correct. The pinch bolt should go through a hole in the tab on the strut. This could be a dangerous situation because the strut could pull out of the hub and you would basically be driving on 3 wheels. It definitely would cause handling issues the way it is.

There is a special spreader tool that holds the gap in the knuckle apart so that the strut can be inserted. The bolt is a torque-to-yield type which means it will have to be replaced once it is loosened.
So what exactly should I get replaced here?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The nut and bolt that hold the steering knuckle to the strut need to be replaced. The spreader tool needs to be used to allow the strut to be fully seated into the knuckle.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Not necessarily. Struts will usually last 6-8 years for normal use. Try the bounce test and see how they do.

I don't think fixing the one strut will cost very much compared to replacing both, so not too much of a cost benefit of doing the struts now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts