NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you have the front of the car jacked up (wheels off the ground) Should you be able to easily move the strut assembly back and forth? The drivers side I can, the pass side doesn't really move at all

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be in the upper mounting hardware of the strut, that's where all the slop appears to be.
All the other steering bushings look new..it's basically a garage queen car..it only has 35k. After replacing the rear shocks last week, the front felt weird so I decided to check it out and found this..lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, The strut bushing at the top is usually the culprit.
the rubber bushing at the top compresses over time just from the weight of the car.
When you put it up on stands all the weight is removed and it "drops" leaving you all sorts of room to wiggle the top end of the strut assembly from below.
With it back on the ground, turn the wheels so you can grab the strut and wiggle it with car's weight on it- is it firm?
Then I'd start with the top strut bearing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, The strut bushing at the top is usually the culprit.
the rubber bushing at the top compresses over time just from the weight of the car.
When you put it up on stands all the weight is removed and it "drops" leaving you all sorts of room to wiggle the top end of the strut assembly from below.
With it back on the ground, turn the wheels so you can grab the strut and wiggle it with car's weight on it- is it firm?
Then I'd start with the top strut bearing.
Yes it's firm with the weight on it.
I had to lower it and move it into the garage, now that it's jacked up again, it's not as loose??
I think I'm going to get the Monroe complete strut assembly for it this week.I'm swapping the axle right now so, I might as well do it while it's in the air

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My concern would be the springs that come with the Monroe kit.

There are MANY more spring combinations than you might think with any model car.

Some examples where there may be different spring rates/heights from the manufacturer.

Sport or lowered suspension.
Automatic 4 vs 6 speed transmission.
Automatic vs manual transmission.
A/C vs non A/C
Convertible or sunroof
4 cylinder, 5 cylinder or Diesel

Or any combination of these above items may change the vehicle weight which can affect the ride height.

Key point here, keep your OE springs if you do not want problems or issues!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts