he then put a bar under the tire and everytime he pushed down
on the bar the wheel and strut would move up about 3 or 4 inches
both sides did this.
is this normal or does the strut bushings or strut mounts need
replacing

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
No idea of how this guy is testing the struts but think about it. Your car is almost 11 years old. How many miles on the struts? I just replaced my struts with Monroe Quickstruts. Came with springs and new sensa trac struts. Difference was like day and night. I also replaced the rear shocks which takes about 5 minutes on each side. My old shocks didn't even bounce back anymore. Suspension components do wear out. And yes if don't forget the new strut bushings unless you get the Monroe Quickstruts which already come pre assembled with everything new including new bushings. Car rides like it's on rails now.

I don't think testing the struts on a lift just pushing up on the wheels is a good way to test them. Of course there is going to be some give in the suspension when it's totally stretched and not compressed. A better way is to push on the car and see if it either bounces back more than once or in my case it didn't bounce at all. The struts were pretty darn dead.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,856 Posts
Agreed Indy Tom.
To piggyback on your comments Tom- You might even experience a little steering wheel wobble if your strut mounts are really worn.

I too am taking Tom's route & will buy the Monroe QuickStruts. Its all assembled and ready to mount- can't go wrong with that.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts