VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, New to the area. I have a 98 beetle 2.0 standard from what I know. I've had it for a few months and a few days ago I dropped my girlfriend off at work, worked fine. Came home and changed 15 minutes later. I start the car up and it won't pull out of park, the Automatic Shift Light is on. What's the issue and will it be towable so it won't move out of park?? Any help would be great, thanks. :confused: :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I picked up the following tip from a Jetta owner on the TDICLUB.COM. This may help you.

I recently was having intermittent problems with shifting my Jetta out of park as the brake switch was acting up. Called the dealer and one of the service managers gave me a workaround to get my car out of park and "limp" back to the dealer. I didn't see this anywhere in this forum so I thought I'd share it - might help someone out.
Here are the steps:
1. Put the key in ignition, turn 1/4 turn. Do not go so far that the dashboard lights go on.
2. Using right hand, shift car out of park to a spot between neutral and drive. Hold the shift lever in this position with your right hand.
3. Using left hand, reach through or under the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the start position to start the car. Once started, you should be able to shift to drive.
If you need to go in reverse to start out then you would want to hold the shift lever (step 2) in the position between park and reverse or neutral and reverse.
Worked for me - was able to get to dealer and have them replace the brake switch (under warranty) with the new model.
Good Luck!
Scott
--------------------
'02 Jetta GLS TDI Auto (stock)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the dealer today and it hasn't been replaced before so i'm going to be taking it in to get the switch replaced but still have a problem getting it out of park. The mechanic told me to remove a purple switch or item not sure what exactly near the brake pedal. I hope this will work because I so need my car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had mine towed when the switch went out. I have tried bypassing the shift lock as stated above and it does work.

If you do drive it to the dealer, be aware that your brake lights don't work so watch your mirror.

You can also pickup the switch and put it in yourself, but then you will have to pay for it. I think it is around $15

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the car fixed after vw tried to rip me for a 100 bucks for a blown socket.....my tails light work. The switch got fixed and I drove it home, felt like it was driving "better" so I went home fine. Tried to start it up today and its stuck in park again.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
VW s had a recall and a service bulletin for defective brake light actuators (switches).

The dealer MUST change the switch since is a safety related malfunction.

Tons of dealers do not know how to install the #$%^&*( switches !

The part is attached to the upper brake pedal, you can take a peek over there and see a plastic thingy with a cable going into it.
The problem is that the switck has a small piston that is depressed when you depress the pedal to brake it closes a circuit and your brake lights illuminate. When in park the activation of the lights release a solenoid that lets you move the auto tranny lever.
That piston must be "calibrated" so the lights turn on at a decent depress of th epedal...a very "OUT" piston li turn the lights at the slightest touch of the pedal. a Inward piston will only turn them on when you are depressing th epedal to the floor!!!.

Another posibility is that one of your brake lights has short and its blowing the fuse, check your fuses, change if necesary and use the brake, if it comes out of park and then later the problems return and your fuse is blown look for a short...

let us know..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts